Rotational And Translational Motion Of A Bowling Ball

In summary, a spherical bowling ball with mass m = 3.4 kg and radius R = 0.115 m is thrown down the lane with an initial speed of v = 8.5 m/s. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the sliding ball and the ground is μ = 0.27. Once the ball begins to roll without slipping it moves with a constant velocity down the lane. To find the time it takes for the ball to begin rolling without slipping, you need to use both rotational and translational dynamics. The key condition for rolling without slipping is v = r(w), where v is the translational speed, r is the radius, and w is the rotational speed. By setting up equations for the translational
mrshappy0

Homework Statement

A spherical bowling ball with mass m = 3.4 kg and radius R = 0.115 m is thrown down the lane with an initial speed of v = 8.5 m/s. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the sliding ball and the ground is μ = 0.27. Once the ball begins to roll without slipping it moves with a constant velocity down the lane.3)How long does it take the bowling ball to begin rolling without slipping?

Homework Equations

Torque = I (angular acceleration)
f=ma

I also drew the body diagram. I believe it would be the same when it is sliding and when it is not sliding.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the angular and linear acceleration when it is sliding but I am not sure how to figure out how long it slides for. I am thinking this has little to do with rotational dynamics and more to do with translational motion.

Physics news on Phys.org
mrshappy0 said:
I found the angular and linear acceleration when it is sliding but I am not sure how to figure out how long it slides for. I am thinking this has little to do with rotational dynamics and more to do with translational motion.
You'll need both rotational and translational dynamics here. Hint: What's the condition for rolling without slipping?

I am not sure would this condition would be.

Last edited:
mrshappy0 said:
I am not sure would this condition would be.
You need to figure that out--it's the key to this problem. What must be the relationship between the translational and rotational speeds for there to be rolling without slipping?

(I suspect that your textbook discusses this condition.)

I am thinking this relationship would be velocity = r (w)

mrshappy0 said:
I am thinking this relationship would be velocity = r (w)
Exactly!

Now write expressions for the translational speed as a function of time and the rotational speed as a function of time. Then you can solve for when they meet that condition.

Okay, so I used (wf-wi)/t=ang.acc. and (vf-vi)/t=acc. I then solved for wf and vf and plugged them into v=r(w). I solved for t and realized there is no relation between wi and vi because that is when the ball is sliding.

mrshappy0 said:
Okay, so I used (wf-wi)/t=ang.acc. and (vf-vi)/t=acc. I then solved for wf and vf and plugged them into v=r(w).
Good.
I solved for t and realized there is no relation between wi and vi because that is when the ball is sliding.
The time t will be the time when rolling without slipping begins, which is what you need to find.

So the only way to solve this requires assuming that the initial rotational velocity is zero?

mrshappy0 said:
So the only way to solve this requires assuming that the initial rotational velocity is zero?
Yes, good point. Usually that's explicitly stated.

Hmm, I have vi/(-a+(ang.a)r)= t and it is still wrong.

mrshappy0 said:
Hmm, I have vi/(-a+(ang.a)r)= t and it is still wrong.
Express your answer in terms of the given quantities: m, μ, R, and vi.

What did you get for the accelerations (in terms of those quantities)?

Show how you solved for the time.

Okay, to shortcut. The only thing that was wrong was the negative sign in the above expression. so vf=vi-at. I don't know why it would be the other way around. Oh, is this because the translational acceleration vector points in the opposite direction?

Okay, last bothersome question. would the magnitude of the final velocity just be be vi-at?

mrshappy0 said:
Okay, to shortcut. The only thing that was wrong was the negative sign in the above expression. so vf=vi-at. I don't know why it would be the other way around. Oh, is this because the translational acceleration vector points in the opposite direction?
Right. The translational speed is decreasing while the rotational speed increases.

mrshappy0 said:
Okay, last bothersome question. would the magnitude of the final velocity just be be vi-at?
Yep.

Related to Rotational And Translational Motion Of A Bowling Ball

1. What is the difference between rotational and translational motion?

Rotational motion refers to the movement of an object around its own axis, while translational motion refers to the movement of an object from one point to another in a straight line.

2. How does rotational and translational motion affect the path of a bowling ball?

The combination of rotational and translational motion determines the trajectory of a bowling ball. The rotational motion causes the ball to curve or hook, while the translational motion determines the speed and direction of the ball.

3. How do the weight and shape of a bowling ball affect its rotational and translational motion?

The weight and shape of a bowling ball can affect its rotational and translational motion by changing its moment of inertia and center of mass. A heavier and more spherical ball will have a higher moment of inertia and a more stable trajectory, while a lighter and more oblong ball will have a lower moment of inertia and a more unpredictable trajectory.

4. How does friction play a role in the rotational and translational motion of a bowling ball?

Friction between the bowling ball and the lane affects both the rotational and translational motion. The frictional force from the lane can cause the ball to hook or curve, while also slowing down its translational motion.

5. How is the kinetic energy of a bowling ball affected by its rotational and translational motion?

The kinetic energy of a bowling ball is a combination of its translational and rotational kinetic energy. The faster the ball is moving and the more it is rotating, the higher its kinetic energy will be. This is important because the kinetic energy is what determines the power and impact of the ball when it hits the pins.