Rotational and translational energy problem

In summary, to equal the sphere's speed at the bottom, a circular hoop of radius R should be released from a height of 40 + (1/3)R on a 15 deg slope. However, this calculation was initially incorrect due to neglecting the correct moment of inertia for a sphere, which is 2/5MR2.
call-me-kiko
A solid sphere of radius R is placed at a height of 30cm on a 15 deg slope. It is released and rolls, without slipping to the bottom.

a) From what height should circular hoop of radius R be released in order to equal the sphere's speed at the bottom?

First i started with the sphere
mgh=.5mv2 +.5Iw2
I=.5mR2
w=v/r
so
mgh=.5mv2+.25mv2
gh=.75v2
h=30
v2 =40g

next the hoop
the only difference is we don't know h and I is different
I=mR2
so gh=v2
therefore setting them equal, h=40.

However the answer is 43. I did neglect to include R in the height because both objects have this height R. However when i included R into h. I found 40+(1/3)R=h which leave me know where.

Any ideas? There is no mention of friction...

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your number for the sphere's moment of inertia. The value you are using is for a disc or solid cylinder.

Thankyou! jeez and to think i spent an hour for a little mistake. For anyone else I for a sphere is 2/5MR2

Related to Rotational and translational energy problem

1. What is rotational and translational energy?

Rotational and translational energy refer to the two types of kinetic energy that an object can possess. Rotational energy is the energy an object has due to its rotation around an axis, while translational energy is the energy an object has due to its linear motion.

2. How is rotational and translational energy related?

Rotational and translational energy are related because they both contribute to the total kinetic energy of an object. The total kinetic energy is the sum of the rotational and translational energies of an object.

3. How can I calculate the rotational and translational energy of an object?

The rotational energy of an object can be calculated using the formula Erot = 1/2Iω2, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity. The translational energy can be calculated using the formula Etrans = 1/2mv2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its linear velocity.

4. What factors affect the rotational and translational energy of an object?

The rotational energy of an object is affected by its moment of inertia and angular velocity, while the translational energy is affected by its mass and linear velocity. Other factors that can affect these energies include the shape and size of the object, as well as any external forces acting on it.

5. How does conservation of energy apply to rotational and translational motion?

Conservation of energy applies to rotational and translational motion because the total energy of an object remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. This means that the sum of the rotational and translational energies will remain constant, even if there is a transfer of energy between the two forms.