Rotation of Spin Operator and Vector in 3D Space

In summary, we are discussing the rotation of a spin 1/2 particle and the corresponding rotation matrices for its spinor and spin vector operators. The angle θ represents a rotation through half the angle about the y-axis, while the overall rotation can be parametrized using three angles φ, θ, and ψ about the z and y axes.
jk22
If we consider a spin 1/2 particle, then, the rotation of the spinor for each direction is given by a rotation matrix of half the angle let say theta [tex]Rspin=\left(\begin{array}{cc} cos(\theta/2) & -sin(\theta/2)\\sin(\theta/2) & cos(\theta/2)\end{array}\right)[/tex] and the new component of the spin operator is, let say for z : [tex]R_{spin}^{-1}\sigma_z R_{spin}[/tex]

On the other hand one could consider the rotation of the spin vector operator : [tex]R\vec{\sigma}[/tex] where R is a 3x3 rotation matrix.

I don't understand what the angle [tex]\theta[/tex] represents when compared to the rotation in 3d space of the spin vector, where we have 3 angles ?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you've written as Rspin is only a special case. It represents a rotation through angle θ/2 about the y-axis: Rspin = exp(i θ/2 σy).

One way of parametrizing the 3-d rotations is:
(Rotate through angle φ about z-axis)(Rotate through angle θ about y-axis)(Rotate through angle ψ about z-axis)

What you get instead of Rspin is

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}exp i(φ+ψ) cos θ/2 &exp i(-φ+ψ) sin θ/2 \\exp i(φ-ψ) sin θ/2&exp -i(φ+ψ) cos θ/2\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Related to Rotation of Spin Operator and Vector in 3D Space

What is the spin operator in quantum mechanics?

The spin operator is a mathematical operator that describes the intrinsic angular momentum of a quantum particle. It is represented by the symbol S and is a vector operator that acts on the quantum states of a particle.

How does the spin operator relate to the rotation of a quantum particle?

The spin operator is closely related to the rotation of a quantum particle because it describes the angular momentum of the particle. This means that the spin operator is affected by rotations of the particle, and it also affects how the particle behaves under rotations.

What is the commutation relation of the spin operator?

The commutation relation of the spin operator is a fundamental property in quantum mechanics. It describes how two spin operators behave when they are applied in different orders. In general, the commutation relation of two spin operators is non-zero, which means that they do not commute.

How is the spin operator used in quantum mechanics calculations?

The spin operator is used in quantum mechanics calculations to determine the spin state of a particle and how it evolves over time. It is also used to calculate other properties, such as energy levels and magnetic moments, that are related to the particle's spin.

What is the physical significance of the eigenvalues of the spin operator?

The eigenvalues of the spin operator correspond to the possible outcomes of a measurement of the particle's spin. This means that they have physical significance and can be experimentally observed. The eigenvalues are quantized, meaning they can only take on certain discrete values determined by the spin quantum number of the particle.