Rotation - Minimum force so that the block topple

In summary: I think I got it now!In summary, the person is trying to solve a problem, but does not know what to do. They get help from others, who explain that the normal force will not act through the center of the mass, and then they find the force that will act there.
cupid.callin

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=33626&stc=1&d=1301276133.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I have worked my brain out but can't work out the problem

the normal force will act through th center of mass right?

if not please some one tell me why !

Attachments

• 01278.jpg
    01278.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 992
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the edge far from the applied force (i.e. the one against the table that it would intuitively tip around) as an axis of rotation...then you can find the torque applied by the force at that point a distance from the axis at an angle (associated with the geometry of the cube). Also, remember gravity would provide another torque at the center of mass, which is also another distance from the axis at a different angle. Hope that helps some.

See, there must be a force acting at the bottom which does not allow the cube to slide. However, you do not know its magnitude. So the best option is to calculate torque about the point which does not move. What will be the forces acting? Calculate their torque. Net torque should be just zero such that it tips.

The normal force will not act through the center of the mass.
If it did then- imagine- net torque would be zero and any small amount (even air flow) will tip the cube.:rolleyes:

If you could help me solve this problem that'll help me ...

attachment.php?attachmentid=33639&stc=1&d=1301304073.jpg

I can't figure out this problem

Attachments

• AITS (4).jpg
    AITS (4).jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 873
okay, let us consider that the normal force is acting through the center of mass. Then the given force acts. As I said in my previous post any amount of force should be enough to tilt the block.
So, the block will tilt(just a bit) and the block will lose contact with ground (except the rightmost edge). Where will the normal force act then?

OH yes ... you are right ...

Thanks guys for help ...

Related to Rotation - Minimum force so that the block topple

1. What is the definition of rotation?

Rotation is the movement of an object around a fixed point or axis.

2. How is the minimum force determined for a block to topple?

The minimum force required for a block to topple is determined by the weight of the block, the distance from the center of mass to the edge of the block, and the angle at which the block is tilted.

3. What is the formula for calculating the minimum force for a block to topple?

The formula for calculating the minimum force is F = mg * d * tan(θ), where F is the force, m is the mass of the block, g is the acceleration due to gravity, d is the distance from the center of mass to the edge of the block, and θ is the angle at which the block is tilted.

4. How does the shape and size of the block affect the minimum force required for it to topple?

The shape and size of the block affect the minimum force required for it to topple by changing the distance from the center of mass to the edge of the block. A larger or differently shaped block will have a different distance and therefore require a different minimum force to topple.

5. What is the practical application of understanding the minimum force required for a block to topple?

Understanding the minimum force required for a block to topple can be useful in engineering and construction. It can help determine the stability of structures and ensure that they are designed to withstand external forces without toppling over.