Rotation formula Complex numbers

In summary, if the argument of (z-ω)/(z-ω^2) is 0, then it can be proved that Re(z) = -1/2. This can be done by taking the real part of both sides of the equation z-ω = k(z-ω^2) and using the fact that ω is the conjugate of ω^2. Additionally, knowing that ω and ω^2 are non-real cube roots of unity can help in solving the problem.
erisedk

Homework Statement

[tex] If arg(\frac{z-ω}{z-ω^2}) = 0, \ then\ prove \ that\ Re(z) = -1/2 [/tex]

Homework Equations

ω and ω^2 are non-real cube roots of unity.

The Attempt at a Solution

arg(z-ω) = arg(z-ω^2)
So, z-ω = k(z-w^2)
Beyond that, I'm not sure how to proceed. Using the rotation formula may also be required, but I'm not sure how to use it here.
Furthermore, I can sort of intuitively visualise the answer, but I'm not sure how to prove it analytically.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
erisedk said:

Homework Statement

[tex] \text{If}\ \arg \left( \frac{z-ω}{z-ω^2} \right) = 0, \ \text{then prove that }\ Re(z) = -1/2 [/tex]

Homework Equations

ω and ω^2 are non-real cube roots of unity.

The Attempt at a Solution

arg(z-ω) = arg(z-ω^2)
So, z-ω = k(z-w^2)
Beyond that, I'm not sure how to proceed. Using the rotation formula may also be required, but I'm not sure how to use it here.
Furthermore, I can sort of intuitively visualise the answer, but I'm not sure how to prove it analytically.
If ω is one of the non-real cube roots of unity, then what is ω2, and how is it related to ω ?

1 + ω + ω^2 = 0
[tex] ω = e^\frac{i2\pi}{3}[/tex]
How does that help?

erisedk said:
1 + ω + ω^2 = 0
[tex] ω = e^\frac{i2\pi}{3}[/tex]
How does that help?
I was thinking in terms of the complex conjugate.

ω is the conjugate of ω^2.

You have that (z-ω)=k(z-ω^2) where k is real and positive. Take the real part of both sides.

Your target is Re(z). How else can you write that?

Related to Rotation formula Complex numbers

1. What is the rotation formula for complex numbers?

The rotation formula for complex numbers is given by:
(cosθ + isinθ) * z
Where θ is the angle of rotation and z is the complex number. This formula represents the multiplication of the complex number by the rotation matrix.

2. How do I use the rotation formula for complex numbers?

To use the rotation formula for complex numbers, you need to have the angle of rotation and the complex number you want to rotate. Plug in these values into the formula:
(cosθ + isinθ) * z
And perform the multiplication to get the rotated complex number.

3. Can the rotation formula be used for any angle?

Yes, the rotation formula for complex numbers can be used for any angle. This is because the rotation matrix (cosθ + isinθ) can represent any rotation in the complex plane. However, for convenience, it is often used for angles in the range of 0 to 360 degrees or 0 to 2π radians.

4. What is the significance of the rotation formula for complex numbers?

The rotation formula for complex numbers is significant because it allows us to easily rotate complex numbers in the complex plane. This is useful in many applications, such as in engineering, physics, and computer graphics. It also helps in simplifying calculations involving complex numbers.

5. Are there any other formulas for rotating complex numbers?

Yes, there are other formulas for rotating complex numbers, such as the Euler's formula:
e^(iθ) * z
Where e is the base of natural logarithm and θ is the angle of rotation. This formula is closely related to the rotation formula discussed above and can also be used for rotating complex numbers.