Rotation due to center of gravity

In summary: It is rather the gravitational force that acts on the mass centre, causing it to rotate about the axis.In summary, the weight of an exercise book in picture A (where the centre of gravity is not on the axis of rotation) rotates so it moves towards the second position in picture B (where the axis of rotation goes through the centre of gravity). This movement is due to the gravitational force acting on the mass centre, which never passes through the axis of rotation.
JustAnotherNewton
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
"The weight of an exercise book in picture A (where the centre of gravity is not on the axis of rotation) rotates so it moves towards the second position in picture B (where the axis of rotation goes through the centre of gravity). Explain why."

I don't believe any equations are necessary for this question.

I understand the pure concept of this question. The centre of mass/gravity is where all the weight of the object is centred, therefore it makes sense that an object would rotate to make that point central. However, I am struggling with the actual movement and position. For example, the book's centre of gravity is in the centre, so why does it rotate downward and then stop? The actual centre doesn't change position, so why does the book need to rotate?

I apologise if I haven't made it clear what I'm enquiring about, please let me know if further details are needed.

Physics news on Phys.org
JustAnotherNewton said:
I apologise if I haven't made it clear what I'm enquiring about, please let me know if further details are needed.
Is the book constrained to rotate about some axis that does not go through its center of mass? If so, gravity will exert a torque about that axis.

A diagram might help.

JustAnotherNewton said:
The weight of an exercise book in picture A (where the centre of gravity is not on the axis of rotation) rotates so it moves towards the second position in picture B (where the axis of rotation goes through the centre of gravity).
That makes no sense to me. If the mass centre is at some distance x from the axis of rotation, it will remain at distance x from the axis as the rotation occurs.
I suggest the statement should be referring to whether the line of action of the gravitational force passes through the axis, i.e. whether the mass centre's displacement from the axis is vertical.
As Doc Al posted, we really need to see the diagram or have a clear description of it.

haruspex said:
That makes no sense to me. If the mass centre is at some distance x from the axis of rotation, it will remain at distance x from the axis as the rotation occurs.
I suggest the statement should be referring to whether the line of action of the gravitational force passes through the axis, i.e. whether the mass centre's displacement from the axis is vertical.
As Doc Al posted, we really need to see the diagram or have a clear description of it.

Sorry for the lackluster description. I have attached the diagram, if it helps.

Attachments

• COFG.jpg
    COFG.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 752
JustAnotherNewton said:
Sorry for the lackluster description. I have attached the diagram, if it helps.
It sure does.
You may be misreading the diagram. The axis of rotation is not the vertical dotted red line. It is horizontal, normal to the plane of the book, through the finger and thumb grip.
So the axis of rotation never passes through the mass centre.

Likes JustAnotherNewton

Related to Rotation due to center of gravity

1. What is rotation due to center of gravity?

Rotation due to center of gravity is the tendency of an object to rotate around its center of mass when a force is applied to it. The center of gravity is the point at which the entire weight of an object can be considered to act.

2. How does the center of gravity affect an object's stability?

The lower the center of gravity of an object, the more stable it will be. This is because a lower center of gravity means that there is less tendency for the object to topple over when a force is applied to it.

3. What factors determine the center of gravity of an object?

The center of gravity of an object is determined by its mass distribution. Objects with a symmetrical shape and uniform density will have their center of gravity at the geometric center. However, irregularly shaped objects or those with varying density may have their center of gravity at a different point.

4. How does the distance from the center of gravity affect an object's rotation?

The further the distance from the center of gravity, the greater the torque (rotational force) that is produced when a force is applied. This means that an object with a larger distance from its center of gravity will experience a greater rotational motion when a force is applied to it.

5. Can the center of gravity be outside of an object?

No, the center of gravity cannot be outside of an object. It is always located within the object, and its position can change depending on the orientation of the object. However, the center of gravity can be located at the edge of an object if it is a thin, flat shape such as a cardboard cutout.