Rotation by matrix multiplication -- confirmation please

In summary: Two approaches:Can you post the full and complete poblem statement ? It is still totally unclear to me what exactly is asked of you (and what you have edited or filled in yourself).Is 'a general point' actually in the problem text ? Or in the preceding chapter in your textbook or course notes ? If so, how is it defined ?In summary, the matrix swaps x and z and leaves y unchanged, so the result is a rotation of the xz plane where the x-axis rotates over an angle ##\pi\over 2## towards the z axis.
Jamie2020
Homework Statement
Matrix Rotation
Relevant Equations
0 0 -1
0 1 0
1 0 0
The below matrix represents a rotation.

0 0 -1
0 1 0
1 0 0

Im trying to obtain the general point (x y z) when rotated by the above rotation matrix? So visited https://www.andre-gaschler.com/rotationconverter/ entered the above figures and not sure which entry would be x y z but assume it would be Euler angles (radians) - Could anyone confirm if this would be correct?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are asking how your coordinates transformed, then you do a matrix multiplication of that with your (x,y,z) column vector and see the result.

Sorry not sure i fully understand what your asking me to do? I thought the result was on that link i provided or are you asking me to a particular area?

Hi,

Not clear what you mean with 'a general point' in the context of (rotation) matrices.

Your matrix swaps x and z and leaves y unchanged. A positive z ends up pointing in a negative x direction.

A little sketch shows that it is a rotation of the xz plane where the x-axis rotates over an angle ##\pi\over 2## towards the z axis.

Likes Zack K
General point is what's written on my paper.

So i assume the answer would be x: 0, y: -1.5707963, z: 0

Jamie2020 said:
General point is what's written on my paper.
I can't see your paper from here :smile:
So i assume the answer would be x: 0, y: -1.5707963, z: 0
That would be a way to describe the rotation: around the y-axis over ##-{\pi\over 2}## (i.e. in mathematically negative direction: clockwise as seen from the tip of the vector looking towards the origin.

So changing the above link to degrees would give x: 0, y: -90, z: 0. Unfortunately i copied the question as is so i may need to seek further clarification.

The next 2 related questions are

Next bit is to fill the gaps: The rotation matrix represents A rotation of _________ degrees about the ______ axis.
(I think the first gap is -90 and y (axis)
and

Calculate the single rotation matrix that represents two applications of the above rotation matrix

which i would look into next but not sure if that sheds any light on the first question?

Jamie2020 said:
Can you post the full and complete poblem statement ? It is still totally unclear to me what exactly is asked of you (and what you have edited or filled in yourself).
Is 'a general point' actually in the problem text ? Or in the preceding chapter in your textbook or course notes ? If so, how is it defined ?
Jamie2020 said:
So changing the above link to degrees
Why would you want to do such a thing ?

Now come the Next bit , apparently litterally copied:
Jamie2020 said:

Next bit is to fill the gaps: The rotation matrix represents A rotation of _________ degrees about the ______ axis.
I agree with your reply.

Jamie2020 said:
Calculate the single rotation matrix that represents two applications of the above rotation matrix
Two approaches:
Do you know how to multiply two matrices ?
If you made a sketch of the first rotation, can you visualize the result of a repeat ?

Related to Rotation by matrix multiplication -- confirmation please

1. How does rotation by matrix multiplication work?

Rotation by matrix multiplication involves using a matrix to rotate a point or object around a fixed point or axis. The matrix is multiplied by the coordinates of the point or object to determine its new position after rotation.

2. What is the purpose of using matrix multiplication for rotation?

Matrix multiplication allows for efficient and accurate rotation of points or objects in 2D or 3D space. It also allows for multiple rotations to be combined into one transformation matrix, making it easier to perform complex rotations.

3. What is the difference between rotation by matrix multiplication and other rotation methods?

Rotation by matrix multiplication is a mathematical approach to rotation that uses matrices and vector multiplication to determine the new position of a point or object. Other methods, such as using trigonometric functions, may be more intuitive but can be less efficient for complex rotations.

4. Can rotation by matrix multiplication be used for both 2D and 3D rotations?

Yes, rotation by matrix multiplication can be used for both 2D and 3D rotations. In 2D, a 2x2 rotation matrix is used, while in 3D, a 3x3 rotation matrix is used. The principles and calculations are the same for both dimensions.

5. Is there a specific order in which matrices should be multiplied for multiple rotations?

Yes, the order of matrix multiplication matters when performing multiple rotations. Generally, the matrices should be multiplied in the order of the desired rotations, from right to left. For example, if you want to rotate an object first around the x-axis, then the y-axis, and finally the z-axis, the matrices should be multiplied in the order Z * Y * X.