Rotating Wedge & Rise of Mass: Speed Calculation

In summary, the sloping side of the wedge in this scenario is frictionless and is being spun at a constant speed. It has been shown that when a mass rises up the wedge a distance L, the speed of the mass can be calculated using the equation v=sqrt(gLsin0). The radius of the circular path can be represented by r=L. By resolving the normal reaction in the horizontal and vertical direction, the equation m(v^2/r)=mgsin0 can be derived, which can also be written as v^2=g*sin0*r. This equation is used in analyzing circular motion and can be found in reference books. It is recommended to draw a free body diagram to better understand the analysis.
hauthuong
the sloping side is frictionless, it is spun at constant speed by rotating the wedge. show that when a mass rises up the wedge a distance L, the speed of the mass is v=sqr(gLsin0)
I got Fx=m(v^2/r) = mgsin0
v^2=g*sin0*r
can I say r=L ?
I got stuck, could you give me some hints thank you

Attachments

• hinh.jpg
    hinh.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Gravity is the centirpetal force because it is pulling the block towards the center.

What is your specific problem with this? Tried resolving normal reaction in the right direction? Do you know what the radius of the circular path is?

Yes r will be L.

[tex] mgsin\theta = m \frac{v^2}{l} [/tex]

[tex] \sqrt{lgsin\theta} = v [/tex]

thank you, however, i do not quite understand why r=l. Could you please explain

Where you get the equation m(v^2/r)=mgsin0. I have search for many reference book but can't find this equation .Can you tell me ?

Cyclovenom said:
Yes r will be L.

[tex] mgsin\theta = m \frac{v^2}{l} [/tex]

[tex] \sqrt{lgsin\theta} = v [/tex]

In my analysis, I resolve the normal reaction in the horizontal and vertical direction. This gives,

[tex]N\cos\theta = mg[/tex]
[tex]N\sin\theta = \frac{mv^2}{l\cos\theta}[/tex]

I divide equation 2 by equation 1 to get

[tex]v^2 = gl\sin\theta[/tex]

Cheers
Vivek

Himura Kenshin said:
Where you get the equation m(v^2/r)=mgsin0. I have search for many reference book but can't find this equation .Can you tell me ?

mg sin theta is the component of the weight acting down the incline (resolve mg in two directions one parallel and the other perpendicular to the plane). Drawing a well labeled freebody diagram might help.

Yes Maverick, that's a correct analysys for the way your coordinate system was put, although i prefer your way than mine, because it is using the vertical coordinate system (most used in Circular Motion) rather than the inclined one.

Related to Rotating Wedge & Rise of Mass: Speed Calculation

1. How does a rotating wedge affect the speed of a mass?

When a rotating wedge is used to lift a mass, the speed of the mass is determined by the angular velocity of the wedge and the angle of inclination of the wedge. As the wedge rotates, it exerts a force on the mass, causing it to move upward. The steeper the angle of inclination, the faster the mass will rise.

2. What is the relationship between the angle of inclination and the speed of the mass?

The angle of inclination and the speed of the mass are directly proportional. This means that as the angle of inclination increases, the speed of the mass also increases. However, there is a limit to this relationship, as the mass will eventually reach a maximum speed and will not continue to increase regardless of the angle of inclination.

3. How does the weight of the mass affect its speed in a rotating wedge system?

The weight of the mass does not have a direct effect on its speed in a rotating wedge system. The speed is primarily determined by the angular velocity and angle of inclination of the wedge. However, a heavier mass may require a stronger wedge or a steeper angle of inclination to achieve the desired speed.

4. Can the speed of a mass in a rotating wedge system be calculated using a formula?

Yes, the speed of a mass in a rotating wedge system can be calculated using the formula v = ωr cosθ, where v is the speed, ω is the angular velocity of the wedge, r is the radius of the wedge, and θ is the angle of inclination. This formula assumes that there is no friction present in the system.

5. What factors can affect the speed of a mass in a rotating wedge system?

The speed of a mass in a rotating wedge system can be affected by various factors, such as the angular velocity of the wedge, the angle of inclination, the weight of the mass, the presence of friction, and the shape and material of the wedge. Other external factors, such as air resistance, may also have an impact on the speed of the mass.