Rotating Square Loop in Constant B-field

In summary, a rotating square loop with a length of 20 cm is placed in a constant magnetic field of 2.0 T. At an angle of 20° between the field and the normal to the loop's plane, and with the angle increasing at a rate of 10°/s, the magnitude of the induced emf in the loop is determined. The correct answer is b. 0.27V. The equation used to solve for the emf is \epsilon = -\frac{d\Phi}{dt}, where \Phi = BAcos(\theta). The mistake in the attempt at a solution was not converting the rate of change to rad/s when taking the derivative.
alexcoco
[SOLVED] Rotating Square Loop in Constant B-field

Homework Statement

A square loop (length along one side = 20 cm) rotates in a constant magnetic field which has a magnitude of 2.0 T. At an instant when the angle between the field and the normal to the plane of the loop is equal to 20° and increasing at the rate of 10°/s, what is the magnitude of the induced emf in the loop?

a. 13mV
b. 0.27V
c. 4.8mV
d. 14mV
e. 2.2mV

Homework Equations

[itex]\epsilon[/itex] = - [itex]\frac{d\Phi}{dt}[/itex]

[itex]\Phi[/itex] = BAcos([itex]\theta[/itex]) = BAcos([itex]\omega[/itex]t)

[itex]d\Phi[/itex] = -BA[itex]\omega[/itex]sin([itex]\omega[/itex]t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to study for an exam and I've got this practice question that I can answer but my answer never matches. I keep getting b as an answer and I'm not sure if it's right.

[itex]\epsilon[/itex] = BAcos([itex]\omega[/itex]t) = (2T)(0.2m)2(10)sin(10t)

I use t = 2s since it asks for [itex]\theta[/itex] = 20° and I get

[itex]\epsilon[/itex] = (2T)(0.2m)2(10)sin(20) ≈ 0.27 V

Am I making a mistake or a wrong assumption anywhere or could it be the answer is incorrectly marked?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Using "10" might be fine inside the argument of the sine function, but if you're taking it outside when you take the derivative, you need to convert it to rad/s.

Thanks, didn't think of that.

Related to Rotating Square Loop in Constant B-field

1. What is a rotating square loop in a constant B-field?

A rotating square loop in a constant B-field is a physical experiment in which a square-shaped wire loop is placed in a uniform magnetic field and is rotated at a constant speed. This creates a changing magnetic flux through the loop, which induces an electric current and results in a torque on the loop, causing it to rotate.

2. How does a rotating square loop in a constant B-field demonstrate Faraday's law?

Faraday's law states that a changing magnetic flux through a loop of wire will induce an electric current in the loop. In the case of a rotating square loop in a constant B-field, the changing magnetic flux is created by the rotation of the loop, resulting in the induction of an electric current. This demonstrates the principle of electromagnetic induction, which is the basis for many modern technologies.

3. What factors affect the torque on a rotating square loop in a constant B-field?

The torque on a rotating square loop in a constant B-field is affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the area of the loop, the speed of rotation, and the angle between the normal to the loop and the direction of the magnetic field. Increasing any of these factors will result in a greater torque on the loop.

4. What practical applications does a rotating square loop in a constant B-field have?

A rotating square loop in a constant B-field has several practical applications, including electric motors, generators, and galvanometers. These devices use the principles of electromagnetic induction to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy or vice versa, and are essential components in many modern technologies.

5. How can the direction of the induced current in a rotating square loop in a constant B-field be determined?

The direction of the induced current in a rotating square loop in a constant B-field can be determined using Lenz's law, which states that the direction of the induced current will be such that it opposes the change that produced it. In the case of a rotating loop, the induced current will flow in a direction that creates a magnetic field that opposes the change in the external magnetic field caused by the rotation of the loop.