Rotating electron as a dipole is this right?

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of electrons as shown by the Stern Gerlach experiment and how it behaves like a dipole. The individual has been trying to understand this concept and has drawn sketches to visualize it. However, it is stated that the dipole moment of an electron is a result of its spin, not rotation as described in the sketches. The individual also mentions using a classical approach to understand the dipole moment of an electron, but it is pointed out that some quantum physics concepts do not have a reasonable classical approach. The conversation ends with a suggestion to learn more about quantum mechanics before attempting to understand it from a classical perspective.
mesa
Gold Member
An electron as shown by the Stern Gerlach experiment behaves like a dipole (albeit only in one of two states). I have been trying to figure out how this is so and drew up the following sketches. A few assumptions were made about electrons such as 'distribution' of charge assuming static equilibrium resulting in a shell of charge. Charge distribution could also be spread out evenly or by some gradient from the center however the general result would still be the same.

Figure one shows the F.o.R. with our shell rotating about the x-axis in a clockwise direction when viewed from the positive x towards the negative. This rotation is the same for all three figures. Figure 2 is a cutaway about the y/z plane and a slice to it's right with direction of rotation shown again. So essentially the rotation of our charge distribution of some radius will act like a dipole just like a current loop with this case having a north pole facing the positive x direction and the south the negative x for all 'slices'.

crossproductpage3_zps1cc187ad.jpg

The issue here is that an electrons dipole could point in any direction depending on its rotation and the magnitude of the Bf of each dipole would similarly be dependent on the speed of that rotation for whatever F.o.R. is used. As I understand it the Stern Gerlach experiments show otherwise as the electron can have only on of two possible directions of the dipole and of equal magnitude. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
The electron's magnetic dipole moment does not result from rotation like in your pictures.
It is a strictly relativistic quantum effect, following from the Dirac equation.

Meir Achuz said:
The electron's magnetic dipole moment does not result from rotation like in your pictures.
It is a strictly relativistic quantum effect, following from the Dirac equation.

I am sure you are correct, but we are in Classical Physics section not QM and these sketches are just a thought experiment about induced dipoles of electrons using a classical approach. As stated in the posting it does not work as compared to observation but that doesn't make it any less fun to tinker with.

Either way, thank you for the information.

It looks like you are describing the dipole moment of a charged rotating spherical shell (whose cross sections behave like circular current loops) using classical EM hence not the dipole moment of an electron so what is the point of this? I'm having trouble seeing what your overall question is. The dipole moment of an electron is a result of its spin - it isn't rotating in the classical sense such as in your drawings.

WannabeNewton said:
It looks like you are describing the dipole moment of a charged rotating spherical shell (whose cross sections behave like circular current loops) using classical EM

That is correct. I used a shell instead of an even distribution of charge because charge distributions in static equilibrium on a conductive solid sphere behave this way.

WannabeNewton said:
...hence not the dipole moment of an electron so what is the point of this? I'm having trouble seeing what your overall question is.

Use a classical mechanics/EM view point to 'build' an electron that makes sense and see if it has a dipole. No surprise it doesn't match what has been observed with the Stern Gerlach experiments but it is still good to play with. As I understand it QM didn't become common place until classical physics resulted in only dead ends. Why not follow the same path, it's interesting and will make my comprehension of classical EM stronger while giving a better appreciation for QM (I understand it gets really hairy).

WannabeNewton said:
The dipole moment of an electron is a result of its spin - it isn't rotating in the classical sense such as in your drawings.

As I understand it you are correct. The 'spin' is really represented by angular momentum but there is no actual rotation of a 'particle'.

You can find the dipole moment of a spinning charged spherical shell here:

http://physicspages.com/2013/04/11/magnetic-dipole-moment-of-spinning-spherical-shell/

But don't try to use this, or a spinning charged sphere, as a realistic model for an electron.

jtbell said:
You can find the dipole moment of a spinning charged spherical shell here:

http://physicspages.com/2013/04/11/magnetic-dipole-moment-of-spinning-spherical-shell/

But don't try to use this, or a spinning charged sphere, as a realistic model for an electron.

Without even getting into the math you can see how it doesn't match experimentation, but interesting none the less. Thanks for the link, although I will try to solve it on my own first it will be handy for a check.

mesa said:
I am sure you are correct, but we are in Classical Physics section not QM and these sketches are just a thought experiment about induced dipoles of electrons using a classical approach. As stated in the posting it does not work as compared to observation but that doesn't make it any less fun to tinker with.

Either way, thank you for the information.
But there is correct Classical Physics and WRONG Classical Physics.
It is more 'fun' to learn physics and then tinker with it.

Meir Achuz said:

I didn't realize I made such grievous errors. Since you believe you have a better understanding how would you tackle the problem from a classical approach?

Some quantum physics has no reasonable 'classical approach'.
Trying to do so is what leads to most of the QM 'paradoxes'.
A better understanding has to wait for an understanding of QM.

Meir Achuz said:
Some quantum physics has no reasonable 'classical approach'.
Trying to do so is what leads to most of the QM 'paradoxes'.
A better understanding has to wait for an understanding of QM.

I understand that, you must have missed my post:

mesa said:
...use a classical mechanics/EM view point to 'build' an electron that makes sense and see if it has a dipole. No surprise it doesn't match what has been observed with the Stern Gerlach experiments but it is still good to play with. As I understand it QM didn't become common place until classical physics resulted in only dead ends. Why not follow the same path, it's interesting and will make my comprehension of classical EM stronger while giving a better appreciation for QM (I understand it gets really hairy).

The point being a classical approach was done first, it failed which is why we have QM but this I believe is still a good exercise and should make the prospect of learning QM even more enticing.

Meir Achuz said:

So presuming we live in a world where QM does not yet exist where are my errors from a strictly classical approach? I thought the drawings were pretty straight forward but maybe not? Or perhaps you have something to add or believe it should be drawn out differently?

We are still in a state of mutual confusion.
The project you state, the magnetic moment of a rotating charge distribution, is given as a homework problem in EM texts. It is more straightforward than your pictures imply. What are you adding to an old student exercise?

Meir Achuz said:
We are still in a state of mutual confusion.
The project you state, the magnetic moment of a rotating charge distribution, is given as a homework problem in EM texts. It is more straightforward than your pictures imply. What are you adding to an old student exercise?

That's alright, we are both sticking around trying to figure out what the point of the other person is. So as I now see it, you believe this topic is covered in our textbooks and they give an even simpler description of how a rotating electron will have a dipole. I wouldn't think that is possible so this is great, let's see it!

You're essentially describing a curiously-shaped solenoid, which can be solved to find a magnetic field according to electrostatics.

I don't personally see the link to QM, even in classical physics I don't know why an electron would be modeled as a spherical conductor. Spin is just one of those things that has no classical analogue.

I would happily be proven wrong, but I can't see a connection between this model and an electron of quantum physics.

The term rotating electron has no classical meaning in the sense you are thinking of as has been stated, and as you yourself have recognized. However for a rotating uniformly charged spherical shell of radius ##R##, calculating the magnetic dipole moment is a common textbook problem (e.g. Griffiths) and is quite easy to do. Reorienting the coordinate system so that the rotation axis coincides with the ##z##-axis, you can break up the shell into infinitesimal circular current loops each of which will have magnetic moment ##d\mathbf{m} = \mathbf{A}dI## with ##dI = (\sigma v)( R\sin\theta d\theta) = \sigma \omega R^{2}\sin\theta d\theta ## and ##\mathbf{A} = \pi(R\sin\theta)^{2}\hat{z}##. This gives ##\mathbf{m} = \pi R^{4} \omega \sigma \hat{z}\int _{0}^{\pi}\sin^{3}\theta d\theta = \frac{4}{3}\pi R^{4} \omega \sigma \hat{z}##.

The reason for why an electron has a magnetic dipole moment is given by QM; it is not something you would calculate using classical mechanics.

mikeph said:
You're essentially describing a curiously-shaped solenoid, which can be solved to find a magnetic field according to electrostatics.

I don't personally see the link to QM, even in classical physics I don't know why an electron would be modeled as a spherical conductor. Spin is just one of those things that has no classical analogue.

I would happily be proven wrong, but I can't see a connection between this model and an electron of quantum physics.

We are in agreement, there is no 'link'. This exercise along with others are about taking a classical approach to quantum objects and treating them as reasonably as possible to particles using systems analogous to what is observed in the macro. We know that classical physics fails and QM is the only viable description for these systems, by exploring the limits of classical physics it will help improve my understanding of it while making the prospect of studying QM even more alluring.

WannabeNewton said:
The term rotating electron has no classical meaning in the sense you are thinking of as has been stated, and as you yourself have recognized. However for a rotating uniformly charged spherical shell of radius ##R##, calculating the magnetic dipole moment is a common textbook problem (e.g. Griffiths) and is quite easy to do. Reorienting the coordinate system so that the rotation axis coincides with the ##z##-axis, you can break up the shell into infinitesimal circular current loops each of which will have magnetic moment ##d\mathbf{m} = \mathbf{A}dI## with ##dI = (\sigma v)( R\sin\theta d\theta) = \sigma \omega R^{2}\sin\theta d\theta ## and ##\mathbf{A} = \pi(R\sin\theta)^{2}\hat{z}##. This gives ##\mathbf{m} = \pi R^{4} \omega \sigma \hat{z}\int _{0}^{\pi}\sin^{3}\theta d\theta = \frac{4}{3}\pi R^{4} \omega \sigma \hat{z}##.

Jtbell had posted a very similar solution, they are both quite clever.

WannabeNewton said:
The reason for why an electron has a magnetic dipole moment is given by QM; it is not something you would calculate using classical mechanics.

This is understood. The Stern Gerlach experiment was the 'line in the sand' and validation for QM as opposed to a classical approach for the quantum. It is fascinating the behavior of electrons, and atoms in this device. Playing with classical mechanics in the quantum is fun but these exercises are to 'see' the limitations of classical physics just as the scientists of 85 years ago had.

Sure, you are free to do whatever you wish with classical mechanics as long as you see the limitations, which you personally do, so I don't see a problem. Good luck and cheers, till next time!

You might like this paper,

http://aforrester.bol.ucla.edu/docs/Spin_Ohanian.pdf

Spinnor said:
You might like this paper,

http://aforrester.bol.ucla.edu/docs/Spin_Ohanian.pdf

"...a fatal flaw of this picture that the speed of rotation... was in excess of the speed of light.", that sounds like a pretty big limitation of classical mechanics :)

Apparently they used a rotating solid body as a representative charge distribution for the electron, which from a classical point of view makes sense. This is a very interesting result, must have been quite a shock to the scientific community at the time.

As for the remainder of the paper, it will take some time to acquire the skills for this new physics...
Thanks for the link!

Related to Rotating electron as a dipole is this right?

1. What is a rotating electron dipole?

A rotating electron dipole refers to the movement of an electron in an atom or molecule, resulting in the creation of a positive charge on one side and a negative charge on the other. This dipole moment can rotate or change direction, depending on the external electromagnetic field.

2. How does a rotating electron dipole affect the surrounding environment?

A rotating electron dipole can interact with other nearby dipoles, creating a force between them. This can lead to the formation of bonds between atoms or molecules, as well as influencing the properties of the material.

3. Can a rotating electron dipole be observed?

Yes, a rotating electron dipole can be observed through various techniques such as spectroscopy or microscopy. These methods allow scientists to study the behavior and movement of electrons in atoms and molecules.

4. What is the significance of a rotating electron dipole in chemistry and physics?

Rotating electron dipoles play a crucial role in many chemical and physical processes. They are responsible for properties such as polarity, intermolecular forces, and chemical reactions. Understanding the behavior of rotating dipoles is essential in fields such as materials science, biochemistry, and electromagnetism.

5. Is the concept of a rotating electron dipole universally accepted?

Yes, the concept of a rotating electron dipole is well-established and widely accepted in the scientific community. It is supported by experimental evidence and is an essential concept in many areas of science, including quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and molecular physics.