Rotating Disc with central hole

In summary, the problem involves determining the maximum shear stress and its location on a circular cylinder subjected to axial and circumferential stresses. The solution involves using the formula τ = (σ1 - σ2) / 2 and substituting the given values to find τmax. The maximum shear stress is 5/8 MPa at the outer surface of the cylinder.
Mechaman

Homework Statement

Problem and worked Example[/B]
Qw3ZCzW.jpg

Homework Equations

In worked example 1. Problem

The Attempt at a Solution

oEGXtEi.jpg

It's the part where I'm subtracting one stress from the other stress. I put it in parenthesis on the worked example. I don't think my method here is right, I've tried to subtract each like term from the other to get my B term. When I come to extract the 3.3/8 by 3.3/8 it should be 3.3/8 - (-3.3/8) giving + 3.3/8.

Also why is the radius term now divisible by the variables on the right?

Can anyone see what's going on here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Worked Example 1. ProblemA circular cylinder of radius r and length l is subjected to an axial tensile stress σ1 = 7.3/8 MPa and a circumferential stress of σ2 = -3.3/8 MPa. Determine the maximum shear stress and its location.Solution:The maximum shear stress τmax will occur at the outer surface of the cylinder, at a distance r from the axis. The shear stress τ can be determined usingτ = (σ1 - σ2) / 2Substituting in the given values givesτmax = (7.3/8 - (-3.3/8)) / 2 = 5/8 MPaAt the outer surface of the cylinder, the maximum shear stress is 5/8 MPa.

Related to Rotating Disc with central hole

1. What is a rotating disc with a central hole?

A rotating disc with a central hole is a circular object with a hole in the center that can spin around its axis. It is often used in experiments to study rotational motion and moments of inertia.

2. How is a rotating disc with a central hole used in scientific experiments?

A rotating disc with a central hole is commonly used in experiments to demonstrate concepts related to rotational motion, such as angular velocity, angular acceleration, and moments of inertia. It can also be used to study the effects of different factors, such as mass and radius, on the rotational motion of the disc.

3. What is the purpose of the central hole in a rotating disc?

The central hole in a rotating disc serves to reduce the mass and therefore the moment of inertia of the disc. This allows for easier manipulation of the disc's rotational motion and clearer observation of the effects of other factors on its rotation.

4. How does the moment of inertia of a rotating disc with a central hole compare to a solid disc?

The moment of inertia of a rotating disc with a central hole is smaller than that of a solid disc with the same mass and radius. This is because the central hole reduces the distribution of mass around the axis of rotation, resulting in a smaller moment of inertia.

5. Are there any real-life applications of a rotating disc with a central hole?

Yes, there are several real-life applications of a rotating disc with a central hole. For example, it is commonly used in the design of flywheels, which are used in engines and other machines to store rotational energy. It is also used in gyroscopes, which are used in navigation systems and stabilizers for vehicles and machines.