Rotating cylindrical spaceship

In summary, the conservation of angular momentum and conservation of rotational energy give different answers when calculating the fractional change in apparent gravity at the walls of a rotating cylindrical spacecraft as a point-like astronaut climbs up a spoke connecting the walls with the center of the cylinder. The astronaut expends energy while climbing against the artificial gravity, and there is room for error in the calculations. If the spacecraft and astronaut are isolated, conservation of angular momentum can be assumed, but not conservation of rotational energy. The rotational energy of the system will increase as the astronaut climbs towards the center, and decrease if the astronaut were to drop down.
guillefix
Is the energy of a rotating cylindrical spacecraft conserved when a point-like astronaut climbs up a spoke connecting the walls with the center of the cylinder?
If so, when I calculate the fractional change in apparent gravity at the walls when the astronaut reaches the middle I get different answers using conservation of angular momentum and conservation of energy

Details here: http://openstudy.com/study#/updates/51366339e4b093a1d94a782b

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see that link but...

There are all sorts of things going on in the case you describe. For one thing the center of mass of the spacecraft -man combination moves as he climbs the spoke. So the point about which the spacecraft rotates will move.

If the man is climbing against the artificial gravity he is expending energy (provided by his food).

Plenty of scope to make an error somewhere.

I assume this is not really homework. If it is, please do not read my post :smile:

If the spacecraft and astronaut are isoloated, you can assume conservation of angular momentum, but not conservation of rotational energy. If you write up angular momement before and after "the climb" and equate them you have

[tex] L_0 = I_0 \omega_0 = I_1 \omega_1 = L_1[/tex]

where [itex]I_0[/itex] and [itex]I_1[/itex] is the moment of inertia before and after (here assuming the direction of the rotational axis is unchanged). Note, that the second equal comes from assumed conservation of angular momentum. This implies that

[tex]\omega_1 = \frac{I_0}{I_1}\omega_0 [/tex]

If you now write up rotational energy before and after you get

[tex] K_0 = \frac{1}{2}I_0\omega_0^2[/tex]

and

[tex] K_1 = \frac{1}{2}I_1\omega_1^2[/tex]

Combining the last three equations you then get that

[tex] K_1 = \frac{I_0}{I_1}K_0 [/tex]

that is, the rotational energy will increase because the moment of inertia decreases when he climbs towards the center. This also fits the intuition that he has to provide energy in order to "climb up" the ladder. If he were to drop down instead the moment of inertia increases and the rotational energy of the system would decrease, which again fits the intuition that he would be able to gain (internal) energy dropping down.

Related to Rotating cylindrical spaceship

1. How does a rotating cylindrical spaceship create artificial gravity?

A rotating cylindrical spaceship creates artificial gravity through centrifugal force. As the spaceship rotates, the centrifugal force pushes objects towards the outer edge of the cylinder, creating the sensation of gravity.

2. What are the benefits of a rotating cylindrical spaceship for long-term space travel?

A rotating cylindrical spaceship can provide a more comfortable and familiar environment for astronauts during long-term space travel. The artificial gravity helps prevent the negative effects of prolonged weightlessness on the human body, such as muscle and bone loss.

3. How fast does a rotating cylindrical spaceship need to rotate to create artificial gravity?

The speed at which a rotating cylindrical spaceship needs to rotate to create artificial gravity depends on the size of the cylinder and the desired level of artificial gravity. Generally, a rotation rate of 1-3 revolutions per minute is considered sufficient.

4. Can a rotating cylindrical spaceship have different levels of artificial gravity?

Yes, a rotating cylindrical spaceship can have different levels of artificial gravity by varying the rotation rate of different sections of the cylinder. This can be useful for different tasks or activities that require different levels of gravity.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using a rotating cylindrical spaceship for space travel?

One potential drawback of a rotating cylindrical spaceship is the need for a large, open space for the cylinder to rotate. This may limit the size and design of the spaceship and could make docking or maneuvering more challenging. Additionally, the constant rotation may cause motion sickness or disorientation for some individuals.