Rosetta gauge for stress strain

In summary, the conversation is about finding the principal strain and stress, with a given Poisson's ratio of 0.3. The result obtained by one person is 100 micro strain higher than others, but the mistake was found in the calculation and corrected.
Mechaman

Homework Statement

IMAG0119.jpg

Homework Equations

IMAG0110.jpg

IMAG0117.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

IMAG0114.jpg

I'm trying to find the principal strain, then from that find stress. The poisons ratio should be around 0.3 for this experiment. My result is about 100 micro strain higher than what my class mates got. Can anyone see where I'm going wrong?

Attachments

• IMAG0116.jpg
    IMAG0116.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 429
Physics news on Phys.org
In the first element of your calculation you give the result of : (348 + 18) /2 to be 357; the result should be 183.

JBA said:
In the first element of your calculation you give the result of : (348 + 18) /2 to be 357; the result should be 183.
Amazing, I forgot to enclose the whole top line with brackets on my calculator and divide by 2. Thanks a lot for looking over it and seeing that.

Related to Rosetta gauge for stress strain

1. What is a Rosetta gauge for stress strain?

A Rosetta gauge for stress strain is a device used to measure the stress and strain of a material. It consists of a strain gauge, which measures the deformation of a material, and a load cell, which measures the amount of force applied to the material.

2. How does a Rosetta gauge work?

A Rosetta gauge works by attaching the strain gauge to the material being tested and applying a force to the material. As the material deforms, the strain gauge measures the change in length and converts it into an electrical signal. This signal is then measured by the load cell, which calculates the amount of force being applied to the material.

3. What are the advantages of using a Rosetta gauge for stress strain?

One of the main advantages of using a Rosetta gauge for stress strain is its high accuracy. It can measure very small changes in length and force, making it an ideal tool for studying the behavior of materials under different conditions. Additionally, Rosetta gauges are non-destructive, meaning they do not damage the material being tested.

4. How is data collected from a Rosetta gauge for stress strain?

Data from a Rosetta gauge is collected using a data acquisition system, which consists of a computer and software designed to record and analyze the electrical signals from the strain gauge and load cell. This data can then be exported and analyzed to determine the stress and strain of the material.

5. What are some common applications of Rosetta gauges?

Rosetta gauges are used in a variety of industries, including aerospace, automotive, and materials science, to study the behavior of different materials under stress. They can also be used for quality control and testing of materials in manufacturing processes.