Rose Petal - Circle - Area problem - Can someone check my work please?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the total area of the blue glass in a stained-glass window with a red rose inside. The person correctly sets up the integral to find an eighth of the total area and receives confirmation from someone else. Another person suggests a simpler approach using the areas of the circle and rose.
Pindrought
I'd love it if someone could verify whether or not I did this problem correctly.

A stained-glass window is a disc of radius 2 (graph r=2) with a rose inside (graph of r=2sin(2theta) ). The rose is red glass, and the rest is blue glass. Find the total area of the blue glass.

So I set 2=2sin(2theta) to find where they intersect and found that at theta = pi/4 there is an intersection, so I set my bounds to be from 0 to pi/4 to find an eighth section of the total area of the blue glass.

My integral looks like so
View attachment 2174

View attachment 2175

Did I do this right?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read

Attachments

• rose1.png
    rose1.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 51
  • rose2.png
    rose2.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 46
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me, and you have the correct result. :D

Hello, Pindrought!

Your work is correct . . . Good job!I used a simpler approach.

The area of the circle is: [tex]\pi(2^2) \,=\,4\pi[/tex].
The area of the rose is: .[tex]8 \times \tfrac{1}{2}\int^{\frac{\pi}{4}}_0(2\sin2\theta)^2\,d\theta[/tex]

And subtract the two areas.

Related to Rose Petal - Circle - Area problem - Can someone check my work please?

1. What is the problem involving Rose Petals, Circles, and Areas?

The problem involves finding the area of a circle using the number of rose petals placed along its circumference. The petals are arranged in a way that forms a circle, and the task is to determine the area of this circle.

2. How do you solve this problem?

To solve this problem, you can use the formula for the area of a circle, which is A = πr², where A is the area and r is the radius. The radius can be found by dividing the number of petals by 2π, as each petal represents 1/2π of the circumference. Plug in the value of the radius into the formula to find the area.

3. Can someone check my work on this problem?

Yes, someone can check your work by following the same steps and calculations to see if they arrive at the same answer. You can also use online calculators or ask a math teacher for assistance.

4. What other variations of this problem exist?

There are many different variations of this problem, such as finding the area using the number of petals placed on the diameter of the circle or using different shapes, like squares or triangles, instead of rose petals. Each variation may require a different formula or approach to solve.

5. How is this problem relevant in real life or science?

This problem can be relevant in real life and science as it demonstrates the relationship between the circumference and area of a circle. It also highlights the use of formulas and calculations in solving real-world problems, which is a common practice in many scientific fields.