Rope Slipping in Pulley System: Does ##\ddot{l} = 0##?

In summary: It's hard to generalize. Often it helps, as long as you get the physics right. Other times... not so much.
PFuser1232
In this derivation (see attached image), does the author assume that the rope doesn't slip? Because if it does, then there is no guarantee that ##\ddot{l} = 0##, right?
Also, does this equation apply to all pulley systems where one pulley is fixed and the other is allowed to move? For example, would this equation still hold for an arrangement where ##|h| > |X|##?
Also, would this equation hold if we were to choose a coordinate system where ##x## and ##X## are both negative?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 501
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MohammedRady97 said:
In this derivation (see attached image), does the author assume that the rope doesn't slip? Because if it does, then there is no guarantee that l¨=0\ddot{l} = 0, right?
What the author assumes is that the rope doesn't stretch. I don't see how slipping is relevant.

MohammedRady97 said:
Also, does this equation apply to all pulley systems where one pulley is fixed and the other is allowed to move? For example, would this equation still hold for an arrangement where |h|>|X||h| > |X|? Also, would this equation hold if we were to choose a coordinate system where xx and XX are both negative?
Rather than try to apply this equation to other situations, just understand the logic of the derivation--then you can derive your own equation.

Doc Al said:
What the author assumes is that the rope doesn't stretch. I don't see how slipping is relevant.Rather than try to apply this equation to other situations, just understand the logic of the derivation--then you can derive your own equation.

If the rope slips then the length of the section of the rope which terminates at the point where the rope is pulled is no longer constant.

MohammedRady97 said:
If the rope slips then the length of the section of the rope which terminates at the point where the rope is pulled is no longer constant.
I'm not sure what you mean. That section is labeled as "x" in the diagram; it's not constant.

Doc Al said:
I'm not sure what you mean. That section is labeled as "x" in the diagram; it's not constant.

If the grip isn't firm enough, the rope would begin to slip. This change in ##x## isn't accounted for in the constraint equation, right? For example, if someone were to move their hand up and down the rope without actually pulling it we would end up with a change in ##x## without a corresponding change in ##X##.

MohammedRady97 said:
If the grip isn't firm enough, the rope would begin to slip. This change in ##x## isn't accounted for in the constraint equation, right? For example, if someone were to move their hand up and down the rope without actually pulling it we would end up with a change in ##x## without a corresponding change in ##X##.
Ah... you're talking about slipping of the rope with respect to the hand! (I thought you meant slipping along the pulleys.) Just think of x as the position of the rope, not the hand. Sure, if you want x to represent the position of the hand, then you'll have to assume no slipping. But the relationship really has to do with the position of the rope, not the hand.

Likes PFuser1232
MohammedRady97 said:
If the grip isn't firm enough, the rope would begin to slip. This change in ##x## isn't accounted for in the constraint equation, right?
Doc Al said:
Ah... you're talking about slipping of the rope with respect to the hand! (I thought you meant slipping along the pulleys.) Just think of x as the position of the rope, not the hand. Sure, if you want x to represent the position of the hand, then you'll have to assume no slipping. But the relationship really has to do with the position of the rope, not the hand.

This is clear now, thanks!
I'm still curious as to whether reversing the coordinate system used would make a difference though. I know we chose a coordinate system where the coordinates of all parts of the pulley system are positive for convinience, but what happens when we use a coordinate system where the coordinates are negative? Also, should I even bother? I always get bogged down in trying to understand what would happen if a fairly simple problem were much more complicated. Will doing so improve my understanding of the subject, or will it just backfire and prevent me from making progress?

MohammedRady97 said:
but what happens when we use a coordinate system where the coordinates are negative?
The physical constraint will be the same: the length of the rope is a constant.

MohammedRady97 said:
Also, should I even bother? I always get bogged down in trying to understand what would happen if a fairly simple problem were much more complicated. Will doing so improve my understanding of the subject, or will it just backfire and prevent me from making progress?
It's hard to generalize. Often it helps, as long as you get the physics right. Other times it's a waste.

Perhaps a better strategy might be to actually try a more complicated problem and see if you can apply the same principles as in the simple one.

Doc Al said:
The physical constraint will be the same: the length of the rope is a constant.It's hard to generalize. Often it helps, as long as you get the physics right. Other times it's a waste.

Perhaps a better strategy might be to actually try a more complicated problem and see if you can apply the same principles as in the simple one.

If we wish to apply the physical constraint (that is constant length) in a coordinate system where all parts of the pulley system have negative coordinates we would have to use absolute values, but since dealing with absolute values is annoying, we're better off sticking to a coordinate system where each part has positive coordinates, right?

MohammedRady97 said:
we're better off sticking to a coordinate system where each part has positive coordinates, right?
That would be my choice. Choose a coordinate system that makes the problem as easy as possible.

Regardless of coordinate system chosen, the length will still be a positive quantity. (Though expressing it might be cumbersome.)

Likes PFuser1232
Doc Al said:
That would be my choice. Choose a coordinate system that makes the problem as easy as possible.

Regardless of coordinate system chosen, the length will still be a positive quantity. (Though expressing it might be cumbersome.)

Thanks Doc!

Related to Rope Slipping in Pulley System: Does ##\ddot{l} = 0##?

1. What is meant by "rope slipping" in a pulley system?

When a rope slips in a pulley system, it means that the rope is not moving along with the pulley and is instead sliding or slipping off of it. This can happen due to various reasons such as insufficient tension in the rope, friction between the rope and the pulley, or a misaligned pulley.

2. Why is the acceleration of the rope, ##\ddot{l}##, important in a pulley system?

The acceleration of the rope, ##\ddot{l}##, is important in a pulley system because it determines the tension in the rope. If the acceleration is zero, the tension in the rope will also be zero, which can lead to the rope slipping. Therefore, understanding the acceleration of the rope is crucial in maintaining the stability and functionality of a pulley system.

3. How does the tension in the rope affect the acceleration, ##\ddot{l}##?

The tension in the rope directly affects the acceleration, ##\ddot{l}##, in a pulley system. When there is a non-zero net force acting on the rope, it causes the rope to accelerate. This acceleration is directly proportional to the tension in the rope, meaning that a higher tension will result in a higher acceleration and vice versa.

4. Can the acceleration of the rope, ##\ddot{l}##, ever be zero?

Yes, the acceleration of the rope, ##\ddot{l}##, can be zero in a pulley system. This can happen if the forces acting on the rope are balanced, meaning that the net force is equal to zero. In such cases, the rope will not accelerate and will remain in a state of constant velocity.

5. How can we prevent rope slipping in a pulley system?

To prevent rope slipping in a pulley system, there are a few measures that can be taken. Firstly, ensuring that the tension in the rope is sufficient and that the rope is tightly wrapped around the pulley can prevent slipping. Additionally, using pulleys with proper alignment and reducing friction between the rope and pulley can also help prevent rope slipping.