Optimal Rear-View Mirror Width Calculation for Improved Car Safety

In summary, the mirror needs to be at least 2.45 feet wide if the driver can see the entire width of the rear window.
mustang
The rear-view mirror of a car is so placed that its upper and lower edges are horizontal and its cener is at the same level as the center of the rear window. The driver's eye is also at this level, and the line of sight from his eye on the center of the mirror makes an angle of 30 degrees with the line joining the centers of the mirror and the window. The distance from his eye to the mirror is 2 feet, and that from the mirror to the window is 8 feet. What is the least width of the mirror is needed if the entire width (3 feet) of the rear window is to be seen?
Would I do 3/8=x/2?

Physics news on Phys.org
A drawing might help here.

Since you know the red angle, you can also know where the driver seats in relation to the center of the mirror/window line (green line). Now you can find the length of the orange line (half the mirror length minus the green line), and you should alreayd know the length of the purple line (half the window length minus half the mirror length).

Now you have two similar triangles, with the purple and orange lines as their bases. You know the heights of the two triangles, so you know what the ratio between the purple line and orange line is. From there you find the length of the orange line, and once you know that you can find the length of the mirror itself.

We ignore the other side of the mirror, because if the driver can see the left side of the window, there's no doubt that he can see the right side of it as well.

The answer, if my rapid calculations are correct (and I wouldn't count on that), is 2.45 feet.

Forgot the drawing: :wink:
http://www.avinadav.com/problem.gif

Sorry I used colors instead of variable names, by the way... it's just easier to paint with colors.

Attachments

• problem.gif
    problem.gif
    4 KB · Views: 494
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the different types of angles in physics?

In physics, there are three main types of angles: acute, right, and obtuse. These angles are measured in degrees and are used to describe the direction of motion or forces in a physical system.

2. How do I calculate angles in physics?

To calculate angles in physics, you can use basic trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions relate the sides of a right triangle to its angles, and can be used to solve for unknown angles in a given system.

3. What is the difference between angular velocity and angular acceleration?

Angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates or moves around a fixed point, while angular acceleration is the rate at which the angular velocity changes over time. In other words, angular velocity describes how fast an object is spinning, while angular acceleration describes how quickly that spinning is changing.

4. How do I apply angles in solving physics problems?

Angles are used in physics to describe the direction of forces and motion in a given system. To solve physics problems involving angles, it is important to understand the basic trigonometric functions and how they relate to the given system. It is also important to draw accurate diagrams and use the correct units when solving these problems.

5. What are some real-life examples of angles in physics?

Angles are present in many real-life situations, including projectile motion, rotational motion, and simple machines. For example, when a ball is thrown, its trajectory can be described using angles. In rotational motion, angles are used to describe the spin of objects such as wheels or gears. Simple machines, such as levers and pulleys, rely on the concept of angles to function.