Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Roots of the polynomial

wishmaster

Oct 11, 2013
I have given polynomial: \(\displaystyle x^3-8x^2+19x-12\)

I know how to find the roots with Horners method,i am just wondering if there is an easier and quicker way to find them? Thank you!

mathbalarka

MHB Math Helper
Mar 22, 2013
wishmaster said:
I know how to find the roots with Horners method
You don't have to go that far. Try proving that this factors over integers completely by applying rational root theorem (integral root theorem for monic polynomials).

wishmaster

Oct 11, 2013
You don't have to go that far. Try proving that this factors over integers completely by applying rational root theorem (integral root theorem for monic polynomials).
I dont know how to do it......

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
I have given polynomial: \(\displaystyle x^3-8x^2+19x-12\)

I know how to find the roots with Horners method,i am just wondering if there is an easier and quicker way to find them? Thank you!
The polynomial has degree 3, so that it exists at least one real root that can be found with the Newton-Raphson method...

wishmaster

Oct 11, 2013

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
Find the divisors of \(\displaystyle 12\) then divide that by the divisors of the leading term \(\displaystyle 1\) so we have \(\displaystyle \pm 1 , \pm 3 , \pm 4 , \pm 6 \pm 12\) as possible roots.

\(\displaystyle P(3) = 3^3-8(9)+19\times 3-12 = 27-72+57-12=0 \)

Hence \(\displaystyle x=3\) is a solution . The next step divide the cubic by \(\displaystyle (x-3)\) to get a polynomial of degree $2$.

wishmaster

Oct 11, 2013
Seems thats not the easier and faster method as Horners...or i cant see it! :D

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
Seems thats not the easier and faster method as Horners...or i cant see it! :D
... not only neither easier nor faster... if the polynomial doesn't have rational roots [... the most probable case...] it fails!(Tmi)...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

wishmaster

Oct 11, 2013
... not only neither easier nor faster... if the polynomial doesn't have rational roots [... the most probable case...] it fails!(Tmi)...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$
My question was about rational roots.....how to find them fast. (Mmm)

mathbalarka

MHB Math Helper
Mar 22, 2013
chisigma said:
neither easier nor faster
Horner's method has computational complexity $\mathcal{O}(n)$, whereas RRT exceeds that quite less often, as far as I can tell.

wishmaster

Oct 11, 2013
Horner's method has computational complexity $\mathcal{O}(n)$, whereas RRT exceeds that quite less often, as far as I can tell.
So i think the answer is: Deal with it as you can?

mathbalarka

MHB Math Helper
Mar 22, 2013
Nope. I believe RRT is much faster at several cases than Horner, and that's what I answered above using computational complexity theory.