Roots of a polynomial with non-real coefficients.

In summary: We know that the sum of the roots is equal to $-\frac{a}{1} = -a$. And since the sum of the reciprocals is 1, we can write $-a + \frac{1}{\alpha} + \frac{1}{\beta} + \frac{1}{\gamma} + \frac{1}{\delta} = 1$. Solving for $a$, we get $a = -\frac{1}{\alpha} - \frac{1}{\beta} - \frac{1}{\gamma} - \frac{1}{\delta
juantheron
Let a,b,c,d be real numbers. Sauppose that all the roots of the equation $z^4 + az^3 + bz^2 + cz + d = 0$ are complex numbers

lying on the circle $\mid z\mid = 1$ in the complex plane. The sum of the reciprocals of the roots is necessarily:

options

a) a
b) b
c) -c
d) d

---------- Post added at 22:03 ---------- Previous post was at 21:31 ----------

Thanks Friends I have Got it

Let $\alpha\;,\beta\;,\gamma\;,\delta$ be the roots of Given EquationNow all Roots are Imaginary and lie on $\mid z\mid = 1$and Imaginary Roots are always occur in pair so Let $\alpha = x_{1}+iy_{1}\;\;\beta = x_{1}-iy_{1}$ and $ \alpha.\beta = x^2_{1}+y^2_{1} = 1$ Similarly $ \gamma = x_{2}+iy_{2}\;\;\delta = x_{2}-iy_{2}$ ] and $ \gamma.\delta = x^2_{2}+y^2_{2} = 1$ Now Using Vieta, s Formula$ \alpha+\beta+\gamma+\delta = -a$ $ \alpha.\beta.\gamma+\beta.\gamma.\delta+\gamma \delta.\alpha+\delta.\alpha.\beta = -c$ $ \alpha.\beta.\gamma.\delta = d$ So $\displaystyle \frac{\alpha.\beta.\gamma+\beta.\gamma \delta+\gamma.\delta.\alpha+\delta.\alpha.\beta}{\alpha \beta.\gamma.\delta} = -\frac{c}{d} = - c$So $ \displaystyle \frac{1}{\alpha}+\frac{1}{\beta}+\frac{1}{\gamma}+\frac{1}{\delta} = -c$ because $ \alpha.\beta.\gamma.\delta = d=1$

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
So Option $ \boxed{\boxed{c}} $ is Correct
I would like to provide a more detailed explanation for why the answer is option c) -c.

Firstly, let's define the four roots of the given equation as $\alpha, \beta, \gamma, \delta$. Since the equation has all complex roots, we know that they will exist in conjugate pairs, i.e. $\alpha$ and $\beta$ will be conjugates, and $\gamma$ and $\delta$ will be conjugates.

Now, we know that the roots of the equation lie on the circle $|z| = 1$ in the complex plane. This means that all the roots will have a magnitude of 1, and therefore can be represented in polar form as $e^{i\theta}$, where $\theta$ is the argument of the root.

Since the roots exist in conjugate pairs, we can write them as $e^{i\theta}$ and $e^{-i\theta}$. Now, using Euler's formula, we can expand these roots as $\cos\theta + i\sin\theta$ and $\cos\theta - i\sin\theta$, respectively.

Next, let's look at the sum of the reciprocals of the roots. This can be written as $\frac{1}{\alpha} + \frac{1}{\beta} + \frac{1}{\gamma} + \frac{1}{\delta}$. Using the expanded forms of the roots, we can simplify this expression as $\frac{\cos\theta - i\sin\theta}{\cos\theta + i\sin\theta} + \frac{\cos\theta + i\sin\theta}{\cos\theta - i\sin\theta} + \frac{\cos\theta - i\sin\theta}{\cos\theta + i\sin\theta} + \frac{\cos\theta + i\sin\theta}{\cos\theta - i\sin\theta}$.

Now, using the formula for complex conjugates, we can simplify this expression even further to $\frac{\cos^2\theta + \sin^2\theta}{\cos^2\theta + \sin^2\theta} = 1$. Therefore, the sum of the reciprocals of the roots is simply 1.

Finally, using Vieta's formulas, we

Related to Roots of a polynomial with non-real coefficients.

1. What are the roots of a polynomial with non-real coefficients?

The roots of a polynomial with non-real coefficients are complex numbers, which consist of a real part and an imaginary part. These roots are typically written in the form of a+bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the square root of -1.

2. How do you find the roots of a polynomial with non-real coefficients?

To find the roots of a polynomial with non-real coefficients, you can use the quadratic formula or a graphing calculator. Another method is to use the conjugate pairs theorem, which states that if a polynomial with real coefficients has a complex root, then its conjugate (with the same real part but opposite imaginary part) is also a root.

3. Can a polynomial with non-real coefficients have only real roots?

No, a polynomial with non-real coefficients cannot have only real roots. This is because complex roots always occur in conjugate pairs, so if one root is complex, its conjugate will also be a root.

4. What is the significance of the roots of a polynomial with non-real coefficients?

The roots of a polynomial with non-real coefficients can provide information about the behavior of the polynomial, such as the number of real and non-real roots, the turning points, and the overall shape of the graph. They can also be used to solve complex equations and model real-world phenomena.

5. How do the roots of a polynomial with non-real coefficients affect its degree?

The degree of a polynomial with non-real coefficients is equal to the highest power of the variable in the polynomial. The presence of non-real roots does not affect the degree, as they are still considered solutions to the polynomial. However, the degree can affect the behavior of the polynomial, such as the number of possible real roots.