Future Humans: What Changes Will Come?

• Thread starter Adam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Future
In summary: We're going to get sick and die just like any other animal. Maybe not as often, but we're still going to die. I think the biggest changes will be in the medical field, and in our ability to survive longer. Spare parts available in hospitals at a moment's notice. Cosmetic alterations to the body to the extent of making humans appear completely alien. Incredible healing/regeneration ability. Improved senses. No degenerative diseases/conditions. Built-in maths processor. Built-in targeting/tracking system for military people. Electronics in the head to access the internet and display data over the normal field of vision
Adam
I asked this question a while ago on another BBS. What changes do you think will be made to humans of the future? Here are some ideas:
  • Spare parts available in hospitals at a moment's notice.
  • Cosmetic alterations to the body to the extent of making humans appear completely alien.
  • Incredible healing/regeneration ability.
  • Improved senses.
  • No degenerative diseases/conditions.
  • Built-in maths processor.
  • Built-in targeting/tracking system for military people.
  • Electronics in the head to access the internet and display data over the normal field of vision.
  • Absolutely incredible immune system.
  • Adjustements to the circulatory system so that any major blood vessels, when exposed to low enough pressure (ie, from being exposed to the open air or being close to a bleeding point), will contract shut.

Computer science news on Phys.org
How far into the future? Infinitely? I'd set some parameter, otherwise it's hard for me to focus on which ones to post, it'd be too long!

Oh, pick your own times. The things I listed, I'd say most will be here within two centuries. Perhaps in a millennium, or half that, we will be able to pick up a severed limb, hold it against the stump, and it will grow back on in seconds.

I think some of yours surely won't be done in two centuries. But I won't argue...

Let's see here.

Clothes that contain nanotechnology for communications, temperature stasis.

GPS systems built into clothes.

"value cards" like credit cards etc... perhaps not implanted but based on eye recog. (I don't think the underskin chips will go over too well ever, more likely to be a simply eye recog)

Many things adam said for sure

Length of life will become very long with only a few important abilities, namely stem cell work... perhaps average increased to somewhere around 90 or 100 at least...

PS: Some of adam's points about chip insertion just seem to me to be something that would at least take a long long time for people to give in to.

All my stuff pretty much is based on current beginnings, so I'd say 100 years for it all.

Greetings !

Adam, if you're asking about all the potential
changes then I think your ideas lack sufficient
imagination. :wink:
As for LA's imagination, I'm not sure he has one...
All of the things he mentioned are already here
and will probably be very wide-spread about 20
years from now. Significant stem cell technology may
see wide application no sooner than about 2050 I
believe, if it's progress is hampered the way it is now.

Live long and prosper.

Originally posted by drag
Greetings !

Adam, if you're asking about all the potential
changes then I think your ideas lack sufficient
imagination. :wink:
As for LA's imagination, I'm not sure he has one...
All of the things he mentioned are already here
and will probably be very wide-spread about 20
years from now. Significant stem cell technology may
see wide application no sooner than about 2050 I
believe, if it's progress is hampered the way it is now.

Live long and prosper.

First off, don't make assumptions about someone ever again.

Secondly, if you read my post, you'd see the time frame genius.

Thirdly, you lack the realistic ability to extrapolate in proper units. Nearly all people make claims about the future which are way to quick in comparison to reality. I am not one of these people.

I clearly stated:

"All my stuff pretty much is based on current beginnings, so I'd say 100 years for it all."

Fourthly, your post contributed NOTHING to this column.

Let's keep it civil...

I believe the first major barrier in this subject will be a microprocessor in the head. When this happens we will be actually considered a different species. Next will be our own genetic mutations for adaptive purposes, such as extreme cold or hot environments. I think the time line of this is exponential, the more we learn the faster it will happen. The political part I believe won't be as much of a barrier as one may think. For example Stem Cell research has moved on in spite of political and ethical restraints, I think opening a door for the other research areas.

Originally posted by LogicalAtheist

Thirdly, you lack the realistic ability to extrapolate in proper units. Nearly all people make claims about the future which are way to quick in comparison to reality.

I agree. It was ridiculous that in the 70s, they thought that we would be traveling through the stars by now - like in a star trek programme.

Although, all of the computers on those programmes looked fairly similar to the computers of the day - huge things with lots of pointless flashing lights.

Originally posted by Adam
I asked this question a while ago on another BBS. What changes do you think will be made to humans of the future? Here are some ideas:
I think the big problem about all the brilliant immune system things is that you forget that we wouldn't all be doing the changing. The bacteria and viruses will be mutating too, indeed at a fast rate. So while by today's standard the immune system may be adapted to more diseases, in the context we may be worse off...

What I think in 100 years...

1. Nanobots to enhance healing.
2. Direct nervous connection to computer systems.
3. Cosmetically more or less the same. Fashions change, but not that far. Aluminium foil will never be cool.
4. Matrix like plug in realities?
5. Smaller population.
6. Brain implants?

Originally posted by plus
I agree. It was ridiculous that in the 70s,
they thought that we would be travelling
through the stars by now - like in a star
trek programme.

Although, all of the computers on those
programmes looked fairly similar to the
computers of the day - huge things with
lots of pointless flashing lights.
That is mostly popular coulture. If you
asked a knowledgeable person back then he'd
probably give you a slightly over-optimistic
estimate. Also, did even knowlegable people
in the 70s imagine they could have computers
faster than all the ones they had back then
sitting on their desk at home ? Did they imagine
they'd have personal communicators - mobile
phones weighing a few tens of gramms and capable
of displaying movies ? Did they imagine there will
be movies made entirely by computers and
almost completely indistinguishable from the
real thing ? Did they imagine the mapping of
the human genome ? Did they imagine the Internet ?
And, btw, that was less than 3 decades ago -
a single generation. :wink:

Live long and prosper.

Originally posted by drag
That is mostly popular coulture. If you
asked a knowledgeable person back then he'd
probably give you a slightly over-optimistic
estimate. Also, did even knowlegable people
in the 70s imagine they could have computers
faster than all the ones they had back then
sitting on their desk at home ? Did they imagine
they'd have personal communicators - mobile
phones weighing a few tens of gramms and capable
of displaying movies ? Did they imagine there will
be movies made entirely by computers and
almost completely indistinguishable from the
real thing ? Did they imagine the mapping of
the human genome ? Did they imagine the Internet ?
And, btw, that was less than 3 decades ago -
a single generation. :wink:

Live long and prosper.

All increases in information/ computing power.

Did they realize that companies would almost bankrupt themselves buying the licences for the 3rd generation mobile phones?

I think that there will be very few whites around as asians/ africans will breed at a much faster rate.

We already have chips in the head for some people. Electronic eyes are being developed; we already have the Cochlear implant.

When I say we'll have a whiz-bang immune system, I mean it will be superior to what we have now but will also be augmented by nanotech, little robo-monsters designed to simply tear apart things indentified as harmful by our biological immune system.

an idea for a head device

You can have the head device transfer data through the optical nerve and it can be used as a faster way to transmit data. eventually allow us to be more independent of light including any radio stations. We could instead use pressure waves (sound waves) to sense are way around like bats and send power and information only to the edge of the atmophere. The sound waves can also be used stratigicly to power military objects insted of having powered by traditional methods Ex. wires or conbustable matterials. the problem with bacteria and virises might be soulved with (a )dedicated supercomputer(s) (or quantumcomputer(s)) that run a complex alife program that will simulate virus and bacterial evolution in an enviornment most likely the human body, but the viruses and bacteria will also evolve to harm other beings. The tecnoligy exists and was used to invent a new microorganism. The reference was from a magesine that because of this I am trying to find to give you.
There is more at my forum. It starts off with my most basic principles. my forum is "the way things can be and should word." under the category the way things work. and just is starting.

Last edited:

1. What physical changes will future humans have?

It is difficult to predict exactly what physical changes future humans will have, as it largely depends on the environmental and genetic factors that will shape their evolution. However, some scientists believe that they may have taller and slimmer builds, larger brains, and better immune systems.

2. Will future humans have advanced technology integrated into their bodies?

There is a possibility that future humans will have advanced technology integrated into their bodies, as we are already seeing this trend with the use of prosthetics and implants. However, it is uncertain how far this integration will go and what ethical implications it may bring.

3. How will climate change impact the evolution of future humans?

Climate change will likely have a significant impact on the evolution of future humans. As the Earth's climate continues to change, future humans may need to adapt to extreme weather conditions, rising sea levels, and changing food sources.

4. Will future humans still reproduce sexually?

It is likely that future humans will still reproduce sexually, as it is a fundamental aspect of our biology. However, advancements in reproductive technology may allow for alternative methods of reproduction to occur.

5. What role will genetic engineering play in shaping future humans?

Genetic engineering will likely play a significant role in shaping future humans. With the ability to manipulate DNA, scientists may be able to eliminate genetic diseases and enhance desirable traits. However, this raises ethical concerns and the long-term effects are still unknown.