Root 2 irrationality proof (geometric)

In summary, the conversation is about understanding a geometric proof for the irrationality of the square root of 2. Questions were raised about the meaning of "swinging a b-leg to the hypotenuse" and where the arc in the proof came from. There was also confusion about how the expression ## \dfrac{2b-a}{a-b} ## leads to a contradiction. It was clarified that "swinging a b-leg to the hypotenuse" means drawing an arc of a circle with radius b from R to the hypotenuse, and that 2b-a and a-b are smaller than a and b respectively. The overall understanding of the proof was still unclear and further explanation or guidance was requested.
phospho
I was looking over this proof and I have some questions:

http://jeremykun.com/2011/08/14/the-square-root-of-2-is-irrational-geometric-proof/

Second paragraph, what does "swinging a b-leg to the hypotunese" mean? Also, where did the arc come from, I really don't understand

also, the last part ## \dfrac{2b-a}{a-b} ## how does this lead to a contradiction (i.e. how is 2b-a and a-b smaller than a and b?

really don't understand the proof overall, if someone could walk me through it or give me some pointers it'd really help thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
hi phospho! :smile:
phospho said:
Second paragraph, what does "swinging a b-leg to the hypotunese" mean? Also, where did the arc come from, I really don't understand

it's a really stupid way of saying "draw an arc of a circle of radius b from R to the hypotenuse" :redface:
i.e. how is 2b-a and a-b smaller than a and b?

2b - a = b + (b -a), which is obviously < b :wink:

(and a - b < a)

Related to Root 2 irrationality proof (geometric)

1. What is the "Root 2 irrationality proof (geometric)"?

The "Root 2 irrationality proof (geometric)" is a mathematical proof that demonstrates that the square root of 2 is an irrational number, meaning it cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. This proof uses a geometric approach to show that there is no rational number that can accurately represent the length of the diagonal of a square with sides of length 1 unit.

2. Who discovered the "Root 2 irrationality proof (geometric)"?

The "Root 2 irrationality proof (geometric)" is credited to the ancient Greek mathematician Pythagoras, who is also known for the Pythagorean Theorem.

3. How does the "Root 2 irrationality proof (geometric)" work?

The proof involves drawing a square with sides of length 1 unit and then constructing a diagonal line from one corner to the opposite corner. Using basic geometric principles, it can be shown that this diagonal line has a length that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers, thus proving the irrationality of the square root of 2.

4. Why is the "Root 2 irrationality proof (geometric)" important?

The proof is important because it is one of the earliest known proofs of irrationality and has had a significant impact on the development of mathematics. It also serves as the basis for other similar proofs for irrational numbers.

5. Can the "Root 2 irrationality proof (geometric)" be applied to other numbers?

Yes, the same geometric approach used in the "Root 2 irrationality proof" can be applied to other numbers to show their irrationality. For example, the proof can be adapted to show that the square root of 3 is irrational.