Room Thermal Energy Calculation

In summary, to find the thermal energy of a 6.40m by 7.80m by 3.10m room containing air at 20C, we can use the ideal gas law formula and the energy of an ideal gas formula. By assuming air to be an ideal gas, we can use the average molecular weight of air to calculate the number of moles of air in the room. Then, using the ideal gas formula, we can solve for the thermal energy of the room. Alternatively, we can use the simplified formula (5/2)PV to directly calculate the thermal energy without needing the number of moles.
iceman_ch

Homework Statement

A 6.40m by 7.80m by 3.10m room contains air at 20C .

What is the room's thermal energy?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I started looking at this problem and to me it is missing information. I know that because it's a homework question it probably isn't. I tried to find how many mols are in the room but that dosen't make sense since I don't know what the air is made up of inside the room. Could someone give me a push in the right direction.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Step 1: consider air to be an ideal gas (it isn't, but if you wanted to be very precise, you'd have to be given the concentrations of of nitrogen, oxygen, CO2, H2O, etc).

Step 2:Ideal gas law formula

Step 3: energy of an ideal gas formula

Even if you consider it as an ideal gas you still need a molecular weight for it to get the number of moles. Air is roughly 2/3 N2 (28) and 1/3 O2 (32) and other stuff. So it's average molecular weight ought to be somewhere between O2 and N2 but closer to N2. I found a more detailled inventory on the web that put the mean at 28.97. For dry air.

Thank you very much that helped a ton. You don't need the mols because I have the following

p=1 atm
v= 154.752m^3
t=293

If I use the ideal gas formula I can solve for n which gives me the mols in the room. Then I use the equation

(5/2) nRT

I get the thermal energy.

thanks

Duh. Right. Good work. If you were given the mass of air you would need the weight. Don't know what I was thinking.

iceman_ch said:
Thank you very much that helped a ton. You don't need the mols because I have the following

p=1 atm
v= 154.752m^3
t=293

If I use the ideal gas formula I can solve for n which gives me the mols in the room. Then I use the equation

(5/2) nRT

I get the thermal energy.

thanks
That's the spirit! It's good that you used the "5/2" bit instead of "3/2" since air is mostly diatomic. NOtice that you never needed to know the # of moles since if
PV=nRT
then
(5/2)PV=(5/2)nRT

so just by calculating (5/2)PV, you are all done.

Chi Meson said:
That's the spirit! It's good that you used the "5/2" bit instead of "3/2" since air is mostly diatomic. NOtice that you never needed to know the # of moles since if
PV=nRT
then
(5/2)PV=(5/2)nRT

so just by calculating (5/2)PV, you are all done.

That makes sense. I tend to take to many steps in my math anyways. I find that it helps me to understand exactly what the equation means and then I can use it any way I want to. This section is the first time I have seen these equations so I am still in the mode of over using them.

Related to Room Thermal Energy Calculation

1. What is thermal energy?

Thermal energy is the energy that is generated by the movement of particles within a system. In a room, thermal energy is produced by the movement of air molecules, as well as the heat released by objects such as people, electronics, and lights.

2. How is thermal energy measured?

Thermal energy is measured in joules (J) using a device called a thermometer. It works by measuring the average kinetic energy of the particles in a system, which is directly related to its temperature.

3. How does thermal energy affect the temperature of a room?

Thermal energy is directly related to the temperature of a room. As thermal energy increases, the temperature of the room also increases. This is because the higher the thermal energy, the more heat is being produced in the room, and the warmer the air becomes.

4. What factors can affect the thermal energy in a room?

The amount of thermal energy in a room can be affected by several factors, including the size of the room, the number of people in the room, the materials used in the room (such as insulation and windows), and the outside temperature. Additionally, the use of heating or cooling systems can also greatly impact the thermal energy in a room.

5. How can thermal energy be controlled in a room?

To control the thermal energy in a room, you can adjust the temperature using a thermostat, insulate the room to prevent heat loss, and use energy-efficient appliances and lighting. Additionally, proper ventilation can help regulate the temperature by allowing cooler air to enter and warmer air to escape.