Romeo and Juliet initial conditions

In summary, the system described involves Romeo's and Juliet's feelings towards each other, represented by r(t) and j(t) respectively. The initial condition (r, j) = (-1,-1) at t = 0 indicates that they initially hate each other, with both values being negative. However, any negative set of values would work, with (-1,-1) being the simplest option. The solutions for the remaining questions are r(t)= sin(t)-cos(t) and j(t)=-cos(t)-sin(t), which were found using the initial conditions, but any negative set of values could have been used.
martha1
Hi all!

I need to give a presentation on a problem in class and @countryboy helped me to figure out most of it, I only have one remaining question.
Here it goes:

Consider the system dr/dt = -j, dj/dt = r , where r (t) represents Romeo’s love (positive values) or hate (negative
values) for Juliet at time t, and j(t) similarly representsJuliet’s feelings toward Romeo

The question I don't really understand is:

(b) Romeo’s and Juliet’s families are enemies. This can be expressed in the initial condition (r, j) = (.,.) at time t = 0.

So I know the answer needs to be (-1,-1), but I don't really get why. I understand the values need to be negative, as they initially hate each other, but why -1 and not for example -1.2?

The solutions I got to answer the remaining questions are:
r(t)= sin(t)-cos(t)
j(t)=-cos(t)-sin(t)

And I used the initial conditions to come to this, but I don't get how I was supposed to know them from the start.
Any explanation would be welcome, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
martha said:
Hi all!

I need to give a presentation on a problem in class and @countryboy helped me to figure out most of it, I only have one remaining question.
Here it goes:

Consider the system dr/dt = -j, dj/dt = r , where r (t) represents Romeo’s love (positive values) or hate (negative
values) for Juliet at time t, and j(t) similarly representsJuliet’s feelings toward Romeo

The question I don't really understand is:

(b) Romeo’s and Juliet’s families are enemies. This can be expressed in the initial condition (r, j) = (.,.) at time t = 0.

So I know the answer needs to be (-1,-1), but I don't really get why. I understand the values need to be negative, as they initially hate each other, but why -1 and not for example -1.2?

The solutions I got to answer the remaining questions are:
r(t)= sin(t)-cos(t)
j(t)=-cos(t)-sin(t)

And I used the initial conditions to come to this, but I don't get how I was supposed to know them from the start.
Any explanation would be welcome, thanks!

Hi martha, welcome to MHB! ;)

The initial condition is arbitrary - any negative set of values will do.
(-1,-1) is just the simplest set of values.
Alternatively we might for instance pick $(-\frac 1{\sqrt 2},-\frac 1{\sqrt 2})$, which would put us on the unit circle.

Related to Romeo and Juliet initial conditions

1. What are the initial conditions of the feud between the Capulet and Montague families?

The initial conditions of the feud between the Capulet and Montague families in Romeo and Juliet are not explicitly stated in the play. However, it is implied that the feud has been ongoing for many years and is fueled by a long-standing rivalry and animosity between the two families.

2. What is the initial relationship between Romeo and Juliet?

At the beginning of the play, Romeo and Juliet are strangers. They come from two rival families and have never met before. However, as soon as they see each other at the Capulet's party, they are immediately drawn to each other and fall in love.

3. How do the initial conditions of the feud affect the relationship between Romeo and Juliet?

The initial conditions of the feud play a significant role in the relationship between Romeo and Juliet. The fact that they come from two rival families makes their love forbidden and adds a sense of danger and urgency to their relationship. It also creates obstacles and challenges that they must overcome in order to be together.

4. What are the initial conditions of the setting of Romeo and Juliet?

The play is set in the Italian city of Verona, which is divided into two districts: the Capulet and Montague households. The initial conditions of the setting are characterized by a hot and fiery atmosphere due to the ongoing feud between the two families.

5. How do the initial conditions of the play foreshadow the tragic ending?

The initial conditions of the play, including the longstanding feud between the Capulets and Montagues, the forbidden love between Romeo and Juliet, and the hot and fiery atmosphere, all foreshadow the tragic ending. These initial conditions create a sense of inevitability and doom, ultimately leading to the untimely deaths of the two young lovers.