Rolling Without Slipping Down a Slope

In summary: The acceleration is 3.21 m/s^2 and the friction force is 0.422 N.In summary, a hollow, spherical shell with a mass of 1.85 kg rolls down a slope with an angle of 32.0 degrees without slipping. Using a free body diagram and Newton's Second Law, it can be determined that the acceleration is 3.21 m/s^2 and the friction force is 0.422 N. However, without the height of the ramp or the radius of the shell, the coefficient of friction cannot be calculated precisely, but a lower bound can be established.
ZachChaos

Homework Statement

A hollow, spherical shell with mass 1.85kg rolls without slipping down a slope angled at 32.0∘. Find the acceleration, friction force, and coefficient of friction.

Homework Equations

atan= rα
τ=rFsinΘ
I=matan

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not quite sure where to begin. I started by making a FBD and using Newton's Second Law to determine Fs-mgsinΘ=max. Since the shape is a hollow sphere, the moment of impulse is I=mr2. I know the frictional force is causing the torque. Without the height of the ramp or the radius of the shell, I'm not quite sure how the proceed, but once I can solve for the acceleration, I should be able to solve for the frictional force and coefficient of friction quickly. This seems like a simple problem, but I'm at a loss with regards to how to approach it.

Physics news on Phys.org
ZachChaos said:
the shape is a hollow sphere, the moment of impulse is I=mr2
Check that.
ZachChaos said:
Without the height of the ramp or the radius of the shell, I'm not quite sure how the proceed
Never be afraid to throw in symbols for such unknowns. Generally you will find they cancel out later.

There's not enough information to find the coefficient of friction, but you can find a lower bound for it.

Related to Rolling Without Slipping Down a Slope

What is rolling without slipping down a slope?

Rolling without slipping down a slope is a type of motion in which an object, typically a wheel or cylinder, moves down a slope without sliding or skidding. This is achieved through a combination of rotation and translational motion.

What is the difference between rolling without slipping and rolling with slipping?

Rolling without slipping involves the object's point of contact with the surface having zero velocity, while rolling with slipping involves the point of contact having a non-zero velocity. In other words, rolling without slipping is a type of pure rolling, while rolling with slipping is a type of combined motion.

What factors affect an object's ability to roll without slipping down a slope?

The main factors that affect an object's ability to roll without slipping down a slope are its mass distribution, the slope angle, and any external forces acting on the object. A lower center of mass and a steeper slope angle increase the likelihood of rolling without slipping.

Can an object roll without slipping on any slope?

No, an object can only roll without slipping on a slope within a certain range of angles. If the slope is too steep, the object will slip and slide down. If the slope is too shallow, the object will not have enough force to overcome static friction and will not move at all.

How is the speed of an object affected when it rolls without slipping down a slope?

The speed of an object rolling without slipping down a slope depends on the angle of the slope and the object's mass and moment of inertia. Generally, a steeper slope and a lower mass or moment of inertia will result in a higher speed. However, other factors such as friction and air resistance can also affect the speed.