Rolling without slipping and friction

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of rolling friction and why the work of friction is zero in this case. The participants mention using a well-known theorem to calculate the power of forces applied to a rigid body and how it explains the relationship between translational and rotational kinetic energy. They also discuss the intuitive appeal of this theorem compared to simply stating that the work of friction is zero due to the point of contact having zero relative velocity.
wrobel
Science Advisor
Insights Author
I am sorry for drawing up very old and closed posting https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/rolling-friction.150891/
but I saw this question many times and I can not understand why do not people simply use well-known theorem which says that power of the forces which are applied to a rigid body is calculated by formula ##(\boldsymbol F,\boldsymbol v_A)+(\boldsymbol \omega,\boldsymbol M_A)##. Here ##A## is a body fixed point; ##M_A## is a net torque abput the point ##A##; and ##\boldsymbol F## is a net force.
From this formula it is clear that the work of friction is equal to zero

Physics news on Phys.org
It is zero because the first term is negative, while the second term is equal but positive. And that's if its rolling without slipping. Am I right?

Yes

Well this is probably the most rigorous way to deal with why the work of friction is zero. It is also in agreement with my intuition cause what this theorem is saying ,in the case we apply it with point A being the c.o.m , is that friction takes translational kinetic energy and transforms it to rotational kinetic energy. This is the best way to understand things, cause just simply saying that the work of friction is zero, because the point of contact has zero relative velocity, is just not so appealing to me.

Related to Rolling without slipping and friction

1. What is rolling without slipping?

Rolling without slipping is a type of motion where an object, such as a wheel or a ball, moves without sliding or skidding. This means that the point of contact between the object and the ground remains stationary, while the object rotates around that point.

2. How is rolling without slipping different from regular rolling?

In regular rolling, there is both rolling and sliding motion, meaning that the point of contact between the object and the ground moves. In rolling without slipping, there is only rolling motion and no sliding motion, as the point of contact remains stationary.

3. What role does friction play in rolling without slipping?

Friction is necessary for rolling without slipping to occur. Without friction, the object would slide instead of rolling. Friction also helps the object maintain its rotational motion and prevents it from slipping or tipping over.

4. Can an object roll without slipping on any surface?

No, an object can only roll without slipping on surfaces where there is enough friction to prevent sliding. For example, a ball can roll without slipping on a rough surface like concrete, but it may slip on a smooth surface like ice.

5. How is rolling without slipping related to the conservation of energy?

Rolling without slipping is a type of motion that conserves both kinetic and potential energy. This is because the object's energy is divided between both its translational and rotational motion, allowing it to move further without losing energy due to friction.