Rolling, torque and kinetic energy

In summary, a uniform wheel of mass 10.0kg and radius 0.400m, mounted rigidly on a massless axle through its centre with a radius of 0.200m, initially at rest at the top of a surface inclined at 30.0o with the horizontal, rolls down along the surface smoothly without slipping. When it has moved down the surface by 2.00m, its rotational kinetic energy is 49.0J and its translational kinetic energy is 49.0J, with a total gain in kinetic energy of 98.0J. This can be determined using the equation U = K + Krot, where U is the potential energy, K is the
Lord Anoobis

Homework Statement

A uniform wheel of mass 10.0kg and radius 0.400m is mounted rigidly on a massless axle through its centre. The radius of the axle is 0.200m, and the rotational inertia of the wheel-axle combination about its central axis is 0.600kg.m2. The wheel is initially at rest at the top of a surface that is inclined at an angle of 30.0o with the horizontal; the axle rests on the surface while the wheel extends into a groove in the surface without touching the surface. Once released, the axle rolls down along the surface smoothly and without slipping. When the wheel-axle combination has moved down the surface by 2.00m, what are (a) its rotational kinetic energy and (b) its translational kinetic energy?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The COM of the wheel drops a distance of h = mgsin30o = 1.00m, so the gain in kinetic energy is:

[tex]\Delta[/tex]K = mgh = 10.0(9.80)(1.00) = 98.0J

and [tex]\Delta[/tex]K = 0.5mV2 + 0.5I[tex]\omega[/tex]2

So this is where things became sticky. I took the force due to gravity to be acting at the COM, and with the radius of the axle I arrived at a torque of mgsin30o(0.200) = 9.8N.m. Dividing this by the given rotational inertia I get [tex]\alpha[/tex] = 16.3rad/s2.

Next, the axle has a circumference of 0.4[tex]\pi[/tex], and with the 2.00m traveled I get an angular displacement of 10rad. In the end, plugging these values into the usual energy equations do not yield the correct answer for (a). I suspect I made a balls of it somewhere with the torque. Sorry about the rotten format folks. As my name indicates , I am but a noob here and I haven't gotten the hang of LaTex yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you need to use torques - as a straight energy question: the loss of gravitational PE goes to rotating the wheel and also to translating it's center of mass. But the rotation and the translation are related because of the fact the rolling is without slipping.
It can help to draw a sketch.

Note: best practise - do not put the values into the equation until after the algebra is done.
I'll help out with the LaTeX, here:

##mgh = \frac{1}{2}mv^2+\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2##

OK so if the radius of the wheel is R, and the radius of the axel is r, then you can find a relation for ##I## and ##\omega## in terms of m, and R, and r, and v?

Last edited:
Simon Bridge said:
I don't think you need to use torques - as a straight energy question: the loss of gravitational PE goes to rotating the wheel and also to translating it's center of mass. But the rotation and the translation are related because of the fact the rolling is without slipping.
It can help to draw a sketch.

Note: best practise - do not put the values into the equation until after the algebra is done.
I'll help out with the LaTeX, here:

##mgh = \frac{1}{2}mv^2+\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2##

OK so if the radius of the wheel is R, and the radius of the axel is r, then you can find a relation for ##I## and ##\omega## in terms of m, and R, and r, and v?
Sorry, I don't quite see what you mean. Do you mean another relation in order to solve simultaneously or something else entirely?

Lord Anoobis said:
Sorry, I don't quite see what you mean. Do you mean another relation in order to solve simultaneously or something else entirely?
Simon is saying there is a geometric relationship between the linear speed, the angular speed, and one or both of the given radii. Once you have that you can use your energy equation to deduce the angular and linear speeds.

haruspex said:
Simon is saying there is a geometric relationship between the linear speed, the angular speed, and one or both of the given radii. Once you have that you can use your energy equation to deduce the angular and linear speeds.
Got it. Substitute the inner radius times ω for v and there it is. So painfully obvious I could kick myself. Thanks. Still, using the force of gravity as a torque could work as well yes? Where did I go wrong there?

You forgot that the torque ##\tau= mgr\;\sin\phi## as you calculate it, is around a point on the circumference of the axle, not around the axle center. ##I## is different then (but that's not enough for me to get a match, so someone will have to jump on this to set us right..)

[edit] made a small mistake. Using ##I = 0.6 + mr^2 = {3\over 8}mR^2 + m{R\over 2}^2 ## you get ##\alpha = 9.8## rad/s2 which gives you the right t for 2 m and the right ##\omega##. All is well.

Last edited:
Lord Anoobis said:
Got it. Substitute the inner radius times ω for v and there it is. So painfully obvious I could kick myself. Thanks. Still, using the force of gravity as a torque could work as well yes? Where did I go wrong there?
A rolling wheel actually rotates about its point of contact with the ground. You measured the torque with respect to that point, but not the moment of inertia.

You don't even need to calculate the speeds either - you are asked only for the energies.
Since you have clearly computed the solution now it is safe for me to do this:

##U=K+K_{rot} : U=mgh,\; K=\frac{1}{2}mv^2##... find Krot in terms of K.
$$K_{rot}=\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2 = \frac{1}{2} \left(\frac{1}{2}mR^2\right)\frac{v^2}{r^2}\\

\qquad = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 \frac{R^2}{2r^2}\\ \qquad = \frac{R^2}{2r^2}K$$
Substitute and solve for the energy you need directly without having to mess about with speeds. (This is one advantage of doing all the algebra before putting the numbers in.)

I think there is a deeper lesson here though - sometimes a problem requires more than one or two steps to solve: you also need to keep in mind the relationships between the various physical quantities. In this case the clue is that one part of the equation uses linear terms and the other uses rotational terms - if you make both parts use the same terms you can see the patterns more easily.

Last edited:
BvU said:
You forgot that the torque ##\tau= mgr\;\sin\phi## as you calculate it, is around a point on the circumference of the axle, not around the axle center. ##I## is different then (but that's not enough for me to get a match, so someone will have to jump on this to set us right..)

[edit] made a small mistake. Using ##I = 0.6 + mr^2 = {3\over 8}mR^2 + m{R\over 2}^2 ## you get ##\alpha = 9.8## rad/s2 which gives you the right t for 2 m and the right ##\omega##. All is well.

haruspex said:
A rolling wheel actually rotates about its point of contact with the ground. You measured the torque with respect to that point, but not the moment of inertia.

Simon Bridge said:
You don't even need to calculate the speeds either - you are asked only for the energies.
Since you have clearly computed the solution now it is safe for me to do this:

##U=K+K_{rot} : U=mgh,\; K=\frac{1}{2}mv^2##... find Krot in terms of K.
$$K_{rot}=\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2 = \frac{1}{2} \left(\frac{1}{2}mR^2\right)\frac{v^2}{r^2}\\

\qquad = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 \frac{R^2}{2r^2}\\ \qquad = \frac{R^2}{2r^2}K$$
Substitute and solve for the energy you need directly without having to mess about with speeds. (This is one advantage of doing all the algebra before putting the numbers in.)

I think there is a deeper lesson here though - sometimes a problem requires more than one or two steps to solve: you also need to keep in mind the relationships between the various physical quantities. In this case the clue is that one part of the equation uses linear terms and the other uses rotational terms - if you make both parts use the same terms you can see the patterns more easily.

Sorry for the late response, folks. I can't help feeling a bit chuffed that the remaining problems at the end of the chapter have not presented any difficulties or confusion at all after your inputs. Thanks a bunch once again.

If you consider an example constant velocity for the rig (say 10 m/s), then figure the KE linear and KE rotating, you can fix the ratio of the two, then from the translated energy you can figure the answers.

At example 10 m/s, the linear KE = ½ * 10 * 10 ² = 500 Joules
At 10 m/s the rotation rate = v / r = 10 / 0.2 = 50 rad / sec
The rotational KE at linear 10 m/s = ½ * 0.600 * 50 ² = 750 Joules

So, the KE ratio ( linear : rotating ) = 500 : 750 = 1 : 1.5

The portion of translated energy captured by rotation = 98 * ( 1.5 / ( 1.5 + 1 ) ) = 58.8 Joules

Related to Rolling, torque and kinetic energy

1. What is rolling?

Rolling is the movement of an object along a surface without sliding or slipping. It involves the rotation of the object around its axis while also moving in a linear direction.

2. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

3. How is kinetic energy related to rolling?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In rolling, kinetic energy is related to the rotational motion of the object. The faster an object is rolling, the more kinetic energy it has.

4. What factors affect the rolling resistance of an object?

The rolling resistance of an object is affected by several factors, including the weight of the object, the surface it is rolling on, and the materials and shape of the object. Objects with more weight, rougher surfaces, and less ideal shapes will have higher rolling resistance.

5. How does rolling friction differ from sliding friction?

Rolling friction and sliding friction are both types of friction that act between an object and a surface. However, rolling friction occurs when an object is rolling, while sliding friction occurs when an object is sliding. Rolling friction is generally lower than sliding friction, making it a more efficient way of moving objects.