Rolling of a Disc: Find Acceleration with Friction

In summary, the cart experiences an acceleration when a horizontal force is applied on it. The force of friction adds to the applied force, so it influences the acceleration of the cart.
cheapstrike

Homework Statement

A cart with mass M has four wheels (idealized as uniform discs), each of radius r and mass m, arranged symmetrically with respect to the cart. Find the acceleration of the cart when a horizontal force F is applied on it. There is no slipping between the wheels and the horizontal road.

2. Homework Equations

a = rα
Γ = Iα
(M+4m)a = F-4f.

The Attempt at a Solution

I first calculated the linear acceleration w.r.t. ICM using a = rα. The net torque on any disc will be due to frictional force and will be equal to f*r (f=frictional force). I equated this to Iα and then finally used (M+4m)a = F-4f to calculate the value of a.
In this problem, the wheels are rolling on the ground without slipping. In that case, shouldn't the friction on the lower most part be equal to zero. Why are we taking friction into account? Also, assuming we take friction into account, was what I did above correct?

Edit: Is there friction there in order to prevent slipping?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Forget friction , there's no mention of any ... the applied force is going into accelerating the cart (I take cart to mean the body and 4 wheels )..so the whole mass of the cart including wheels is given an acceleration , but also some force is spent in turning the 4 wheels .

cheapstrike said:

Homework Statement

A cart with mass M has four wheels (idealized as uniform discs), each of radius r and mass m, arranged symmetrically with respect to the cart. Find the acceleration of the cart when a horizontal force F is applied on it. There is no slipping between the wheels and the horizontal road.

2. Homework Equations

a = rα
Γ = Iα
(M+4m)a = F-4f.

The Attempt at a Solution

I first calculated the linear acceleration w.r.t. ICM using a = rα. The net torque on any disc will be due to frictional force and will be equal to f*r (f=frictional force). I equated this to Iα and then finally used (M+4m)a = F-4f to calculate the value of a.
In this problem, the wheels are rolling on the ground without slipping. In that case, shouldn't the friction on the lower most part be equal to zero. Why are we taking friction into account? Also, assuming we take friction into account, was what I did above correct?

Edit: Is there friction there in order to prevent slipping?

Yes, there must be friction to prevent slipping. This friction is static.
You are on the right track, go ahead.

oz93666 said:
Forget friction , there's no mention of any ...
The problem says that the wheels roll on the ground without slipping. Is it possible without friction between the ground and the wheels?

ehild said:
Yes, there must be friction to prevent slipping. This friction is static.
You are on the right track, go ahead.

ehild said:
The problem says that the wheels roll on the ground without slipping. Is it possible without friction between the ground and the wheels?

When I said "forget friction" ... I meant ignore it , it doesn't affect the calculation , no force is used up in overcoming friction ... no energy is lost in friction

oz93666 said:
When I said "forget friction" ... I meant ignore it , it doesn't affect the calculation , no force is used up in overcoming friction ... no energy is lost in friction
The force of friction adds to the applied force F, so it influences the acceleration of the cart, and its torque accelerates the rotation of the wheels. As it is static friction, its work is zero, you are right in that statement.

ehild said:
The force of friction adds to the applied force F, so it influences the acceleration of the cart, and its torque accelerates the rotation of the wheels. As it is static friction, its work is zero, you are right in that statement.

Yes ... I tend to look at where is the force going ...in accelerating the whole mass cart and wheels in a strait line , and also in increasing the angular speed of the wheels ... Just those two places

oz93666 said:
Ok, perhaps, but it was very misleading. Please try to be more careful when offering guidance.
Force "being used up" is not a well defined concept. Whether it affects the calculation depends on the approach used. It didn't affect it in your calculation, but in other methods it could.

1. What is the purpose of finding acceleration with friction in the rolling of a disc?

The purpose of finding acceleration with friction in the rolling of a disc is to understand how external forces, such as friction, affect the motion of a rolling disc. This can help in predicting the trajectory and speed of the disc, as well as determining the necessary force to maintain or change its speed.

2. How is friction involved in the rolling of a disc?

Friction is involved in the rolling of a disc because it is a resistive force that acts against the motion of the disc. As the disc rolls, there is contact between its surface and the ground, which results in friction. This friction can either aid or hinder the motion of the disc, depending on its direction and magnitude.

3. What factors influence the acceleration of a rolling disc with friction?

The acceleration of a rolling disc with friction is influenced by various factors, including the mass and shape of the disc, the coefficient of friction between the disc and the surface it is rolling on, and the external forces acting on the disc, such as gravity or applied force.

4. How is the acceleration with friction calculated for a rolling disc?

The acceleration with friction for a rolling disc can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In this case, the net force would include the force of friction, which can be determined using the coefficient of friction and the normal force.

5. How does the angle of incline affect the acceleration of a rolling disc with friction?

The angle of incline can affect the acceleration of a rolling disc with friction by changing the magnitude and direction of the forces acting on the disc. For example, if the disc is rolling on an incline, the force of gravity will have a component that is parallel to the incline, which can increase or decrease the acceleration of the disc depending on its direction and the force of friction.