Rolling Object, Moving Incline

In summary, a right triangular prism with inclination angle of 30 degrees and mass of 100 kilograms can slide without friction along a smooth horizontal surface. A uniform solid cylinder of mass 200 kilograms rolls down the inclined surface without friction. If both the cylinder and prism are at rest initially, the cylinder's center will have a velocity of (200-100)/3 = 50 kilometers per hour after its height decreased by h.
BryMan92

Homework Statement

A right triangular prism ABD with inclination angle 30degrees and mass m can slide without friction along smooth horizontal surface. A uniform solid cylinder of mass m rolls down the inclined surface AB without friction. If both cylinder and prism are at rest initially, what will be the relative velocity and absolute velocity of the cylinder’s center O after its height decreased by h?

Hints: 1. You may use conservation of momentum principle for the system cylinder-prism to relate velocities of prism and of cylinder’s center (absolute and relative )
2. When you apply conservation of energy relation do NOT forget to account for kinetic energy of the cylinder’s rotation.

Homework Equations

Pe=mgh
KE = 1/2Iω^2 and 1/2mv^2
m1v1=m2v2
Vabs = Vrel-Vprism

The Attempt at a Solution

2gh=V^2 +V^2+Vprism^2

MsystemVprism=MSystem(Vrel(i)-Vprism)
Vprim=((Vrel√3)/4) - My professor said this was correct.

So, this is where I get stuck because I am not sure which V to use for the rotational energy or the translational energy. I tried using Vrel for everything and I get the wrong answer. I think I am suppose to use Vabsolute for the velocities of the cylinder, but that gives me some ugly math which I think is wrong.

Any help would be helpful, and I really appreciate it!

Attachments

• diment.png
    diment.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 437
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi BryMan92! :smile:
BryMan92 said:
… I am not sure which V to use for the rotational energy or the translational energy. I tried using Vrel for everything and I get the wrong answer. I think I am suppose to use Vabsolute for the velocities of the cylinder, but that gives me some ugly math which I think is wrong.

Newtonian mechanics (including conservation of energy or momentum) only works in an inertial frame.

The prism is not an inertial frame, so yes, you have to use the lab frame.

(it shouldn't be too difficult: vcylinder = vrelative + vprism :wink:)

Can anyone give further help on this problem? I'm pretty confused, since our professor told us in hints to use the energy approach, but now it is being said that this isn't valid?

Related to Rolling Object, Moving Incline

What is a rolling object moving on an incline?

A rolling object moving on an incline is a classic physics experiment that involves studying the motion of an object that is released on an inclined plane. This experiment demonstrates the relationship between the angle of the incline, the force of gravity, and the motion of the rolling object.

What are the key components of this experiment?

The key components of this experiment include an inclined plane, a rolling object (such as a ball or cylinder), a measuring device (such as a ruler or protractor), and a stopwatch or timer. These components are used to measure the angle of the incline, the distance traveled by the rolling object, and the time it takes for the object to reach the bottom of the incline.

What factors affect the motion of a rolling object on an incline?

The motion of a rolling object on an incline is affected by several factors, including the angle of the incline, the mass and shape of the object, and the surface of the incline. The force of gravity also plays a major role in the motion of the object, as it pulls the object downward along the incline.

How does the angle of the incline affect the motion of the rolling object?

The angle of the incline has a direct impact on the motion of the rolling object. As the angle of the incline increases, the force of gravity acting on the object also increases, causing it to accelerate more quickly down the incline. This means that the steeper the incline, the faster the object will roll.

What are the real-world applications of this experiment?

This experiment has several real-world applications, including understanding the motion of objects on inclined surfaces (such as cars driving up or down a hill), designing roller coasters and other amusement park rides, and studying the motion of objects in sports (such as a ball rolling down a ramp in a game of bowling). It also has practical applications in engineering and design, as it can help determine the most efficient angle for a ramp or slope.