Rolling down a ramp - find acceleration

In summary, the conversation is about setting up equations to solve a problem involving the acceleration of pipe A on a ramp, which is affected by the rolling motion of the ramp. They discuss the concept of relative accelerations and how they add like vectors.
serverxeon
2eyud5j.png

Here are the few equations i set up... which ultimately led to a wrong answer.
(In my solution, subscripts A refers to the ramp, B refers to the rolling pipe)

1ilhr8.jpg

----------

I have a feeling that the acceleration if pipe A isn't simply downwards at 30deg.
Cos the ramp is rolling away, so the angle is relative to the ramp.

But I have no idea how to set up the required equations to correct this.
Any pointers?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi serverxeon! :smile:
serverxeon said:
I have a feeling that the acceleration if pipe A isn't simply downwards at 30deg.
Cos the ramp is rolling away, so the angle is relative to the ramp.

relative accelerations are vectors (like relative velocities or relative positions), and so they add like vectors :wink:

Related to Rolling down a ramp - find acceleration

1. What is the formula for calculating acceleration when an object rolls down a ramp?

The formula for calculating acceleration when an object rolls down a ramp is a = (g * sinθ), where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and θ is the angle of the ramp.

2. How does the angle of the ramp affect the acceleration of the rolling object?

The angle of the ramp affects the acceleration of the rolling object by changing the component of the force of gravity acting on the object. A steeper ramp will have a larger component of the force of gravity acting in the direction of motion, resulting in a greater acceleration.

3. Does the mass of the object affect its acceleration down the ramp?

Yes, the mass of the object does affect its acceleration down the ramp. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. Therefore, a heavier object will have a slower acceleration down the ramp than a lighter object.

4. How can we measure the acceleration of an object rolling down a ramp?

The acceleration of an object rolling down a ramp can be measured by using a timer to record the time it takes for the object to roll a certain distance down the ramp. The acceleration can then be calculated using the formula a = (2 * Δx) / (t^2), where Δx is the distance and t is the time.

5. Is air resistance a factor when calculating acceleration of an object rolling down a ramp?

No, air resistance is not a significant factor when calculating acceleration of an object rolling down a ramp. The force of air resistance is usually much smaller than the force of gravity, and it is only significant when dealing with very light or very aerodynamic objects.