Rolling cylinder on cylindrical plane

In summary, the question is about the calculation of kinetic energy for a rotating rod and cylinder, with equations provided for rotational and translational kinetic energy. The conversation discusses the relationship between the angular velocities of the rod and cylinder, and the use of parallel axis theorem to find the moment of inertia about the center of mass. The summary confirms that the translational velocity of the rod can be used to calculate the kinetic energy of the cylinder, and that the moment of inertia of the cylinder can be found using the parallel axis theorem.
maffra

Homework Statement

See attached

Homework Equations

K.E (rotational) = .5*I*omega^2
K.E (translational) = .5*m*v^2

The Attempt at a Solution

v(of rod and translational vel of cylinder) = L * (dαlpha/dt)

Is the angular velocity of the cylinder the same as the angular velocity of the rod?
To calculate the translational K.E of the cylinder can I use the vel I've calculated above for the rod?
For the rotational vel of the cylinder, can i use I (com) = 0.5*m*r^2

Attachments

• Question 3.jpg
    Question 3.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 354
Physics news on Phys.org
maffra said:
Is the angular velocity of the cylinder the same as the angular velocity of the rod?

The angular velocity of the CM of the cylinder about O will be equal to the angular velocity of the rod about O. But the cylinder has a different angular velocity wrt its CM.

To calculate the translational K.E of the cylinder can I use the vel I've calculated above for the rod?

Yes.

For the rotational vel of the cylinder, can i use I (com) = 0.5*m*r^2

Yes. But to find the MI about O, you have use parallel axis theorem.

Related to Rolling cylinder on cylindrical plane

What is a rolling cylinder on a cylindrical plane?

A rolling cylinder on a cylindrical plane refers to a physical system where a cylinder is placed on a flat surface that is also cylindrical in shape. The cylinder is able to roll along the surface without slipping.

What is the difference between a rolling cylinder on a cylindrical plane and a rolling cylinder on a flat plane?

The main difference between these two systems is the shape of the surface. In a rolling cylinder on a cylindrical plane, the surface is curved, while in a rolling cylinder on a flat plane, the surface is flat. This difference affects the way the cylinder moves and the forces acting on it.

What is the significance of studying a rolling cylinder on a cylindrical plane?

Studying a rolling cylinder on a cylindrical plane allows us to understand the principles of rotational motion and how different forces, such as gravity and friction, affect the motion of the cylinder. It also has practical applications in engineering, such as designing wheels for vehicles or understanding the motion of objects on curved surfaces.

How does the radius of the cylinder and the curvature of the plane affect the motion of the rolling cylinder?

The radius of the cylinder and the curvature of the plane both affect the speed and acceleration of the rolling cylinder. A larger radius or a more curved plane will result in a slower and smoother motion, while a smaller radius or a less curved plane will result in a faster and more abrupt motion. Additionally, the friction between the surfaces also plays a role in the motion of the cylinder.

What happens when the rolling cylinder reaches the bottom of the cylindrical plane?

When the rolling cylinder reaches the bottom of the cylindrical plane, it will continue to roll at a constant velocity until it reaches the end of the surface or encounters another force. This is due to the conservation of energy, where the potential energy at the top of the plane is converted into kinetic energy as the cylinder rolls down.