Why Does the Roller Coaster's Normal Force Exceed Gravity at the Loop's Bottom?

In summary, the conversation discusses the normal force and gravity acting on a car on a curved track, with the discovery that the normal force is greater than the force due to gravity. The conversation also touches on the car's acceleration at the one-quarter position and potential errors in the given answer not including the gravitational component.
Jaccobtw
Homework Statement
A roller-coaster car initially at position a position on the track a height h above the ground begins a downward run on a long, steeply sloping track and then goes into a circular loop of radius R whose bottom is a distance d above the ground. Ignore friction. What is the magnitude of the normal force exerted on the car at the bottom of the loop?
Relevant Equations
F = ma
K = (1/2)mv^2
a = v^2/r

So, we know that at the bottom of the loop, the car will have a normal force pointing upward and gravity pointing down. However, I have discovered that the normal force is apparently greater than the force due to gravity.

Basically

N = F(g) + ?

What is this other force?

Physics news on Phys.org
The cart is on a curved track so it is not in equilibrium.

oh wait, then how am I supposed to express the magnitude of the normal force?

Orodruin said:
The cart is on a curved track so it is not in equilibrium.

By the way, congrats on your prestige.

Ok I just got mg(1+(2h-2d)/R) for the Normal force.

Apparently, this force -----> mv^2/R is a completely separate force from mg

Here's what I did:

I added mg to mv^2/R, but v is expressed as sqrt(2g(h-d)) from the previous question not shown.

Jaccobtw said:
Ok I just got mg(1+(2h-2d)/R) for the Normal force.

Apparently, this force -----> mv^2/R is a completely separate force from mg

Here's what I did:

I added mg to mv^2/R, but v is expressed as sqrt(2g(h-d)) from the previous question not shown.
Looks right.

Likes Jaccobtw
The next question asks: What is the car's acceleration at the one-quarter position?

And I got this : (2g(h-R-d))/(R)

And the back of the book says this is correct, however, I just realized this answer does not include acceleration due to gravity, only the normal force. Isn't the net acceleration at this point in the circle down and to the left?

Something like (2g(h-R-d))/(R * cos(theta)) or g/sin(theta)

If not, what is wrong with these two answers?

Jaccobtw said:
The next question asks: What is the car's acceleration at the one-quarter position?

And I got this : (2g(h-R-d))/(R)

And the back of the book says this is correct, however, I just realized this answer does not include acceleration due to gravity, only the normal force. Isn't the net acceleration at this point in the circle down and to the left?

Something like (2g(h-R-d))/(R * cos(theta)) or g/sin(theta)

If not, what is wrong with these two answers?
I agree that the given answer is incorrect. It ought to include a gravitational component. But to do that, use Pythagoras.

Likes Jaccobtw and hmmm27

Related to Why Does the Roller Coaster's Normal Force Exceed Gravity at the Loop's Bottom?

1. What is the "Roller Coaster Loop Problem"?

The "Roller Coaster Loop Problem" is a hypothetical engineering problem that asks how to design a roller coaster loop that will allow a roller coaster car to safely complete a full loop without losing speed or causing discomfort to riders. It is a popular problem in physics and engineering courses.

2. What factors affect the design of a roller coaster loop?

The design of a roller coaster loop is affected by several factors, including the height and speed of the roller coaster, the centripetal force required to keep the car on the track, and the shape and size of the loop itself. Other factors such as the weight and distribution of riders also play a role in the design.

3. How do engineers ensure the safety of riders on a roller coaster loop?

Engineers use a combination of mathematical calculations, computer simulations, and physical testing to ensure the safety of riders on a roller coaster loop. They must consider factors such as g-forces, track materials, and structural integrity to design a loop that can safely withstand the forces exerted on it by the roller coaster car and riders.

4. What are some common solutions to the "Roller Coaster Loop Problem"?

Some common solutions to the "Roller Coaster Loop Problem" include making the loop wider at the top to reduce g-forces, using a tear-shaped loop instead of a circular one to distribute the forces more evenly, and designing the track with a clothoid shape to reduce the centripetal force required for the loop.

5. Are there any real-life examples of roller coaster loops that have had design challenges?

Yes, there have been several instances where roller coaster loops have had design challenges. For example, the "Corkscrew" roller coaster at Knott's Berry Farm in California experienced issues with g-forces and rider discomfort, leading to a redesign of the loop. Similarly, the "Son of Beast" roller coaster at Kings Island in Ohio had to be modified due to structural issues with its loop. These challenges highlight the importance of thorough engineering and testing in roller coaster design.