Role of mass in this problem on electrostatics

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the force on a particle with mass 'm' and negative charge 'q' placed at a distance 'x' from the center of a circular ring with a uniform positive charge 'Q' of radius 'R'. The conversation also mentions the relevance of the mass in finding the electrostatic force and the time period of oscillation for the particle. A book recommendation for understanding electrostatics is suggested - "Electromagnetic Fields" by Wangsness. The solution to the problem involves finding the e-field by integrating the line charge and using it to calculate the force on the particle.
Dranzer

Homework Statement

Positive charge Q is distributed uniformly over a circular ring of radius R.A particle with mass 'm' and a negative charge 'q' is placed on the axis at a distance 'x' from the centre.Find the force on the particle.Assuming x<<R, find the time period of oscillation of the particle if it is released from there.

Before I request for a solution, I would request someone to explain why the mass given here is relevant.

Secondly, can anyone please refer me a book/reference on electrostatics?I am fully comfortable with rigorous single variable calculus(I am in high school) and would not mind a book/reference that has really tough problems but explains the matter well.(My assessment is that I have not really understood the matter)

Edit:I can probably see that the x<<R condition is for approximation(or for some ignoring some quantity when it emerges in the answer or the steps leading to it)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Why not?

To find the electrostatic force, i think (and I'm sure), the mass is'nt necessary.

But maybe for the time of oscillation no? I don't know.

So... You should to read Richard Feynman's books.

You are going to find a force which acts more or less like a spring (F = kx). Since you know that F = ma = md2x/dt2, you're going to wind up with a diff.eq. with m in it. The solution to it is a sine wave, in which you'll find your time constant.

spoiler: You are going to have to find the e-field by integrating the line charge, which in turn yields the force as F=qE. ps.Electromagnetic Fields by Wangsness is the best book on electromagnetism in my opinion, but it requires multi-variable.

Related to Role of mass in this problem on electrostatics

1. How does mass affect electrostatics?

The role of mass in electrostatics is primarily seen in the force of attraction or repulsion between charged particles. According to Coulomb's law, the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. However, the mass of the particles also plays a role in determining the strength of the force. This is because the greater the mass of a charged particle, the more inertia it has and the more difficult it is to accelerate. Therefore, in a system with varying masses, the particles with larger masses may experience a weaker force due to their greater inertia.

2. Does the mass of an object affect its charge?

No, the mass of an object does not affect its charge. Charge is a fundamental property of matter and is independent of an object's mass. This means that two objects with the same charge can have different masses, and two objects with the same mass can have different charges.

3. Can mass be used to measure the strength of an electric field?

Yes, mass can be used to indirectly measure the strength of an electric field. The force experienced by a charged particle in an electric field is directly proportional to the charge of the particle and the strength of the field. Since mass plays a role in determining the force, it can be used as a measure of the strength of the electric field. This is commonly seen in mass spectrometry, where charged particles are deflected by an electric field, and the amount of deflection is used to determine their mass-to-charge ratio.

4. How does mass affect the behavior of charged particles in a vacuum?

In a vacuum, the mass of charged particles does not directly affect their behavior. This is because, in a vacuum, there are no other forces acting on the particles besides the electric force. Therefore, the mass of the particles does not affect their acceleration or velocity in a vacuum. However, in the presence of other forces, such as gravity, the mass of the particles can play a role in determining their overall behavior.

5. Is mass a factor in determining the potential difference between two points in an electric field?

No, mass is not a factor in determining the potential difference between two points in an electric field. The potential difference, or voltage, is determined solely by the electric field strength and the distance between the two points. Mass does not play a role in this calculation and does not affect the potential difference.