Rod rotational inertia - axis at end of rod

In summary, the discussion was about the formula for a rod's rotational inertia with rotational axis at its end. The first formula mentioned was 1/2 mR^2, but the correct formula is actually 1/3 mR^2. This can be derived using the parallel axis theorem, where the distance from the center of mass to the end of the rod is used. The concept of breaking the rod into infinitely many point masses was also mentioned to explain where the 1/3 comes from.
destroyer130
I want to ask why a rod's rotational inertia with rotational axis at its end is not
1/2 mR2 but 1/3 mR2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using the parallel axis theorem to compute the moment of inertia for the second case, given the first case.

Oh I mean in term of making sense? I am sorry for this dumb question. Like, the rod center of mass would be in the middle of the rod. The distance is R/2, there is "3" so I wonder how can there is formula 1/3 mR2

Where did you came up with 1/2 mR^2 in the first place, it is for the solid cylinder.

The rods moment of inertia about its center is 1/12 mL^2 (where L stands for length of the rod), I hope you agree with me here.
If we would like to calculate the moment of inertia of this same rod about an axis that goes through the one end of the rod we apply the parallel axis theorem:

where d stands for distance from the center of the rod to the end of the rod d = L/2.

1/12 mL^2 + md^2 = 1/12 mL^2 + m(L/2)^2 = 1/3 mL^2

amiras, now you need to explain the 1/12th for moment around center.

destroyer, imagine I replace the rod by N+1 point masses located at distance rn=n(R/N) from the end, where n runs from 0 to N. The mass of each is m=M/(N+1), of course, to give you total mass of M. Moment of inertia for a point mass is mrn². So we need to add these up.

[tex]I = \sum_{n=0}^{N} m r_n^2 = \frac{m R^2}{N^2} \sum_{n=0}^{N} n^2[/tex]

Sum of squares of consecutive integers is known as square pyramidal number.

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{N} n^2 = \frac{2N^3 + 3N^2 + N}{6}[/tex]

Putting it all together.

[tex]I = MR^2 \frac{2N^3 + 3N^2 + N}{6 N^2 (N+1)}[/tex]

That looks ugly, but if N is large enough, only the N³ terms are important in that fraction. Since we want the rod to be broken into infinitely many point masses, the square and linear terms can be dropped. (In other words, take limit as N goes to infinity.)

[tex]I = MR^2 \frac{2N^3}{6N^3} = \frac{1}{3}MR^2[/tex]

This isn't the cleanest way to derive moment of inertia, and it gets even worse for more complex shapes, but it shows where the 1/3 comes from without any advanced mathematics.

Related to Rod rotational inertia - axis at end of rod

1. What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on both the mass and the distribution of mass around the axis of rotation.

2. How is rotational inertia calculated?

Rotational inertia can be calculated by taking the product of the mass of the object and the square of the distance from the axis of rotation to the object. It is often represented by the symbol I and has units of kg * m^2.

3. What is the axis of rotation in a rod?

The axis of rotation in a rod is an imaginary line passing through the center of the rod and perpendicular to its length. It is the point around which the rod rotates.

4. How does the axis of rotation affect rotational inertia in a rod?

The distance of the axis of rotation from the mass of the rod affects its rotational inertia. The farther the axis of rotation is from the mass, the larger the rotational inertia will be. This means it will be harder to change the rotational motion of the rod.

5. How does the distribution of mass affect rotational inertia in a rod?

The distribution of mass around the axis of rotation also affects the rotational inertia of a rod. If more mass is concentrated farther away from the axis of rotation, the rotational inertia will be larger. If the mass is evenly distributed, the rotational inertia will be smaller.