Rod Hanging in Water: Find Line of Buoyancy Force

• Thread starter Horvath Bela
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rod Water
In summary: The weight of the water would cause the rod to be in equilibrium and the line of action would be at the center of the immersed part of the rod.
Horvath Bela

Homework Statement

Lets consider a rod of length l that is attached at a point to the cealing and relvolves freely. Half of the rod is immersed in water and half of it is out of the water. The rod is not vertical it has around a 60 degree angle to the water. Where is the line of action of the boyuancy force? Is it at the CM of the rod or is it at the center of ther part immersed in water? Why? I drew a picture hope it is understandible: https://imgur.com/a/6uxtO

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Horvath Bela said:

Homework Statement

Lets consider a rod of length l that is attached at a point to the cealing and relvolves freely. Half of the rod is immersed in water and half of it is out of the water. The rod is not vertical it has around a 60 degree angle to the water. Where is the line of action of the boyuancy force? Is it at the CM of the rod or is it at the center of ther part immersed in water? Why? I drew a picture hope it is understandible: https://imgur.com/a/6uxtO

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

You are required to complete the template. List any standard equations or laws that are likely relevant and show some attempt.

I am really qlueless as for the line of action of the force. I know the magnitude of the bouyancy force it is equal to the weight of the displaced water which is the half of the volume of the rod and times 1000 kg/m^3. The line of action is important because this a torque problem and since the rod is in equalibrium the net torque is zero, but to calculate the torque of the bouyancy force I would need to know its lever. I hope this shows you that I have considered the problem. Would you please tell me where the line of action of the bouyancy force is?

Horvath Bela said:
I am really qlueless as for the line of action of the force. I know the magnitude of the bouyancy force it is equal to the weight of the displaced water which is the half of the volume of the rod and times 1000 kg/m^3. The line of action is important because this a torque problem and since the rod is in equalibrium the net torque is zero, but to calculate the torque of the bouyancy force I would need to know its lever. I hope this shows you that I have considered the problem. Would you please tell me where the line of action of the bouyancy force is?
No, but I will help you figure it out.
Consider removing the rod and filling in the space that leaves in the water with... more water. Clearly this would be in equilibrium. What is the weight of the added water, and where is the line of action of that weight?

The weight of the added water is equal to what the bouyance force was, and the line of action is where the center of the immersed part of the rod used to be.

Horvath Bela said:
The weight of the added water is equal to what the bouyance force was, and the line of action is where the center of the immersed part of the rod used to be.
Yes.

Related to Rod Hanging in Water: Find Line of Buoyancy Force

1. What is the purpose of finding the line of buoyancy force in a rod hanging in water?

The line of buoyancy force is used to determine the equilibrium position of a rod hanging in water. It helps determine the point at which the force of gravity acting on the rod is balanced by the upward buoyant force of the water.

2. How is the line of buoyancy force calculated?

The line of buoyancy force is calculated by using the principles of Archimedes' principle and the law of equilibrium. The weight of the rod is equal to the weight of the water that it displaces, and the line of buoyancy force is at the center of mass of the displaced water.

3. Can the line of buoyancy force change in different types of water?

Yes, the line of buoyancy force can change depending on the density and salinity of the water. The more dense and salty the water is, the higher the line of buoyancy force will be. This affects the equilibrium position of the rod hanging in the water.

4. How is the line of buoyancy force affected by the shape of the rod?

The shape of the rod can affect the line of buoyancy force. A rod with a larger surface area will displace more water and have a higher line of buoyancy force compared to a rod with a smaller surface area. The shape also affects the center of mass of the displaced water and thus the location of the line of buoyancy force.

5. How is the line of buoyancy force related to the stability of the rod?

The location of the line of buoyancy force is crucial in determining the stability of the rod. If the line of buoyancy force is above the center of mass of the rod, it will be unstable and tend to tip over. However, if the line of buoyancy force is below the center of mass, it will be stable and remain in equilibrium.