Rocks falling at the same time and their distance apart

In summary: Replacing t with \sqrt{60/g} gives distance between the two rocks as g(60/g)- 30= 60- 30= 30 meters.In summary, two rocks are falling from a roof and the second one begins its fall when the first one has already covered 30cm. Using the equations s=s_{0}+v_{0}t+\frac{at^{2}}{2} and v(t) = v_0 + at, the distance between the two rocks after 10 seconds counted from the moment the second rock begins its fall can be calculated. By comparing distances, it can be determined that the rocks are 24.8 meters apart after 10 seconds.
Glyper

Homework Statement

Two rocks are falling from a roof. The second one begins its fall when the first one has already covered 30cm. Calculate the distance d between these two rocks after 10 seconds counted from the moment the second rock begins its fall.

Homework Equations

[itex]s=s_{0}+v_{0}t+\frac{at^{2}}{2}[/itex]
[itex]v(t) = v_0 + at[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

It turns out second rock will go as follows: [itex]s_2=\frac{at^2}{2}={9,81*100}{2}\approx 490,5m[/itex]. If it does, then we have [itex]0,3=\frac{9,81t^2}{2}[/itex] so [itex]t\approx0,25s[/itex]. Then, we know that [itex]v(0,25)=0+9,81*0,25=2,4525m/s[/itex]. And finally [itex]s_1=0,3m+2,45*10+\frac{9,81\cdot100}{2}=515,3m[/itex] so they're 24,8 metres apart. Is that OK?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is something wrong here? I can't find any but something surely does not feel right.

What seems wrong?

I got to the same result.
Basically you compare distances.
s1 = Δs + g(0.247+10)²/2
s2 = 0 + g10²/2

s1 - s2 = Δs + g/2(10.247²-10²) = 0.3 + 24.529 ~ 24.8
Δs is the freefall during the 1st 0.247 or 0.25 seconds - the 30cm given.

I am fairly certain you have done it correctly.

Oh... That's good. Thank you :) Something felt wrong as I'm simply not too confident with my physics skills ;)

lendav_rott said:
I got to the same result.
Basically you compare distances.
s1 = Δs + g(0.247+10)²/2
s2 = 0 + g10²/2

s1 - s2 = Δs + g/2(10.247²-10²) = 0.3 + 24.529 ~ 24.8
Δs is the freefall during the 1st 0.247 or 0.25 seconds - the 30cm given.

I am fairly certain you have done it correctly.

I'm having trouble understanding the first line - s1 = Δs + g(0.247+10)²/2. Isn't Δs already taken into account with these 0.247 sec?

Can't find a comprehendable explanation - my lingual skills fail me :(

The way I understand it is that if I plug 10s into both of these equations, they both cancel out and the constant distance between them is always 30cm - but that makes no sense, because the 1st stone already has a base velocity of 2.something metres per second and the only way to express it in the equation is to use the time on top of the 10s to show that s1 doesn't start at the same speed as s2.

Last edited:
Please take into consideration following:

10.25^2*9.81*0.5-10^2*9.81*0.5=24.83.

10.247^2*9.81*0.5-10^2*9.81*0.5=24.52.

Since the acceleration is the same in both cases, the only difference in distances will be due to the initial difference (30 cm) and the initial velocity of the first rock (2.45 m/s according to your calculation). Thus diff = 30 cm + 2.45 m/s * 10 s = 24.8 m.

Here's how I would have done the problem: Since the first rock is dropped its initial speed is 0 and so the distance dropped is [itex]d_1= (g/2)t^2[/itex]. It will have dropped 30 m when [itex](g/2)t^2= 30[/itex] so [itex]t= \sqrt{60/g}[/itex].

The second rock is dropped at that time also with initial speed 0 and so [itex]d_2= (g/2)(t- \sqrt{60/g})^2= (g/2)t^2- g\sqrt{60/g}t+ 30[/itex].

Subtracting, the distance between the two rocks, after t seconds, is [itex]g\sqrt{60/g}t- 30[/itex].

Related to Rocks falling at the same time and their distance apart

1. How do you determine the distance between two rocks that fall at the same time?

The distance between two rocks that fall at the same time can be determined using the formula: distance = velocity x time. This formula takes into account the speed at which the rocks are falling and the time it takes for them to reach the ground.

2. What factors affect the distance between falling rocks?

The distance between falling rocks can be affected by factors such as the initial velocity of the rocks, air resistance, and the angle at which the rocks are falling. Other factors such as wind and surface conditions can also play a role.

3. Can rocks that fall at the same time end up at different distances?

Yes, depending on the factors mentioned above, rocks that fall at the same time can end up at different distances. For example, if one rock has a higher initial velocity or experiences less air resistance, it may travel further than the other rock.

4. How is the distance between falling rocks measured?

The distance between falling rocks can be measured using tools such as a ruler or measuring tape. In a scientific setting, more precise tools such as a laser rangefinder or motion sensor can be used to measure the distance.

5. What is the significance of studying rocks falling at the same time and their distance apart?

Studying rocks falling at the same time and their distance apart can provide valuable information about the laws of motion and gravity. It can also help us understand the effects of air resistance and other factors on falling objects. This knowledge can be applied in various fields such as engineering and physics.