Rockets on a car's effect on velocity?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the change in velocity caused by a rocket firing at a 45 degree angle while on a car moving to the right. One person believes there will be a decrease in velocity due to recoil, while the other argues that the pressure of the barrel may counteract this. The main question is whether or not the rocket's firing will actually cause a change in the car's velocity.
zell_D

Homework Statement

a rocket is on a car. the car is going to the right. a rocket is fired at 45 degrees angle towards the right. what is the change in velocity (if it changes at all)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was imagining like a gun firing, and therefore there would be recoil. so i said it decreases the velocity. but my friend says it doesn't change... i am confused

Physics news on Phys.org
So the car is moving to the right and the rocket fired such that a force is being felt to the left or to the right? Either way, why do you believe the velocity changes?

The Bob

i simply thought it like the firing of a gun, and the gun will recoil backwards. but i guess there's the pressure of the barrel to take into account. why DOESNT it change tho?

What effect does the rocket have on the car's velocity if it is firing upwards and to the right?

zell_D said:
why DOESNT it change tho?
I didn't say it didn't change. What we want to see is what you think the right answer is and why. Then we can see which part of the problem, specifically in explanation, is causing you problems.

The Bob

Related to Rockets on a car's effect on velocity?

1. How do rockets on a car affect its velocity?

Adding rockets to a car can greatly increase its velocity. The force generated by the rockets propels the car forward, causing it to accelerate and reach higher speeds.

2. Can rockets on a car make it go faster than the speed of sound?

Yes, depending on the strength and number of rockets used, it is possible for a car to exceed the speed of sound. However, this would require a lot of power and careful engineering to ensure the car can withstand the extreme speeds.

3. Is it safe to have rockets on a car?

Rockets on a car can be dangerous if not properly handled. It is important to have proper safety measures in place, such as a strong and stable car structure, and to follow all safety protocols when launching the rockets.

4. How does air resistance affect a car with rockets?

Air resistance can greatly impact the performance of a car with rockets. As the car moves faster, the air resistance increases, making it harder for the car to maintain its velocity. This is why aerodynamics is crucial in designing a car with rockets.

5. Can rockets on a car be used for practical purposes?

While rockets on a car may seem like a fun and exciting concept, they are not very practical for everyday use. The amount of fuel and power needed to operate the rockets would make it extremely expensive and not suitable for regular transportation. However, they can be useful for specialized purposes such as in certain types of racing or for space exploration.