Rocket ship speed and relativity

In summary: In this scenario, the closing velocity would be c, regardless of the speeds of the two rocket ships. So, in summary, if two rocket ships are traveling at .5c in opposite directions, a stationary observer would see them approaching each other at a rate of c.
cragar
ok I know that nothing with mass can travel at c but i have to ask this question.
if I am in a rocket ship traveling at .5c and another rocket ship is traveling at .5c in the opposite direction then am I traveling at c relative to him . Probably Galilean transformations don’t work in this situation and I am probably missing something can you guys help me out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Now I don't have its answer but I will tell you as I get an adequate amount of time. o:)

Well, I was reading in another thread that nothing actually has an absolute mass. It depends on which force you're considering (that is applied on that mass). for example, a nuetron's gravitational mass and nuclear mass may have slightly different values.

I think the same thing goes here. The guy in the other rocket ship will percieve you as a massless entity, but, somebody who is stationary wrt both of you, will not.

Just a fleeting thought... I haven't verified this from anywhere.

cragar said:
ok I know that nothing with mass can travel at c but i have to ask this question.
if I am in a rocket ship traveling at .5c and another rocket ship is traveling at .5c in the opposite direction then am I traveling at c relative to him . Probably Galilean transformations don’t work in this situation and I am probably missing something can you guys help me out.
You are correct that Galilean transformations don't work with such high speeds. You need to use relativistic velocity addition (derived from the Lorentz transformations):

[tex]
V_{a/c} = \frac{V_{a/b} + V_{b/c}}{1 + (V_{a/b} V_{b/c})/c^2}
[/tex]

The speed of the other rocket with respect to you will be 0.8c, not c.

thanks for the answer .

Would a stationary observer see them coming together at a rate of c?

Zula110100100 said:
Would a stationary observer see them coming together at a rate of c?

Yes. This is called the "closing velocity".

Related to Rocket ship speed and relativity

1. How fast can a rocket ship travel?

The speed of a rocket ship depends on various factors such as the type of propulsion used, the mass of the rocket, and the distance it needs to cover. However, the fastest rocket ever recorded was the New Horizons spacecraft, which traveled at speeds of over 36,000 miles per hour during its journey to Pluto.

2. How does the speed of a rocket ship affect time?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time is relative and can be affected by the speed of an object. As a rocket ship approaches the speed of light, time will appear to slow down for the passengers on board compared to those on Earth. This phenomenon is known as time dilation.

3. Can a rocket ship travel faster than the speed of light?

No, it is currently not possible for any object to travel faster than the speed of light. The speed of light is considered to be the universal speed limit, and as an object approaches this speed, its mass increases infinitely, making it impossible to reach or exceed it.

4. How does relativity play a role in rocket ship speed?

Relativity is the theory that explains the relationship between time, space, and gravity. It plays a significant role in understanding rocket ship speed as it explains how time and space can be distorted by high speeds and gravity. It also helps in predicting and calculating the effects of these distortions on the rocket ship and its passengers.

5. Can a rocket ship travel in a straight line?

Yes, a rocket ship can travel in a straight line as long as it is not influenced by any external forces, such as gravity. However, in reality, objects in space are constantly affected by gravitational forces, so a rocket ship's path will likely not be a perfectly straight line.