Rocket propulsion - Differential equations

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the velocity and time for a rocket launched from Earth's surface, assuming no air resistance. The formula for velocity is derived using the relationship between g, G, m, and R, and the time is found by integrating the velocity formula. The assumption that the rocket engine stays on during flight is not taken into account.
Locoism

Homework Statement

Suppose a rocket is launched from the surface of the Earth with initial velocity
[itex] v_0 = \sqrt(2gR) [/itex], the escape velocity.

a) Find an expression for the velocity in terms of the distance x from the surface of the Earth (ignore air resistance)

b) Find the time required for the rocket to go 240,000 miles. Assume R = 4000 miles, and g = 78,545 miles/h2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I figure we use [itex] \frac{dv}{dt} = -\frac{mG}{(R+x)^2} [/itex] and multiply by [itex]\frac{dt}{dx} = \frac{1}{v}[/itex] to get

[itex] \frac{dt}{dx} \frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{dv}{dx} = -\frac{mG}{v (R+x)^2} [/itex]

which gives [itex] v(x) = \sqrt(\frac{2mG}{R+x}) + C [/itex]

Using [itex] v(0) = \sqrt(2gR) [/itex] gives

[itex] C = \sqrt(2gR) - \sqrt(\frac{2mG}{R}) [/itex]

I don't know where to go from here...

Physics news on Phys.org
g, G, m and R are related. Use the relationship to eliminate m and G from your formula for v(x). That should answer (a).

For (b), you just need to integrate (a).

Problems like this really annoy me! The whole point of a rocket is that, unlike simply throwing a rock or ball in the air, is that a rocket engine stays on during its flight. In this problem we are apparently to assume that is not true.

HallsofIvy said:
Problems like this really annoy me! The whole point of a rocket is that, unlike simply throwing a rock or ball in the air, is that a rocket engine stays on during its flight. In this problem we are apparently to assume that is not true.

Lol. But what if we assume the rocket is very big ball thrown by a really strong dude? o_O

As for the actual math...

voko said:
g, G, m and R are related. Use the relationship to eliminate m and G from your formula for v(x). That should answer (a).

For (b), you just need to integrate (a).

What? How do I do that? It seems that whenever I integrate of differentiate they will always remain since they multiply y? The only way I can see they are related is that they appear in the same formula for y''... How can I cancel them?

mg equals the force of gravity on the surface of the Earth. What is the the force of gravity on the surface of the Earth?

edit: "m" here is not the mass of the Earth as you used it above. It is the mass of some small body, such as the rocket. I suggest you denote the mass of the Earth as M to eliminate confusion.

Related to Rocket propulsion - Differential equations

1. What is rocket propulsion?

Rocket propulsion is the use of a rocket engine to generate thrust and propel a rocket into space. It is the most common form of propulsion used in spacecraft and is essential for achieving escape velocity and entering orbit.

2. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. They are used to model and solve complex systems, such as the motion of objects under the influence of forces, like a rocket in flight.

3. How are differential equations used in rocket propulsion?

Differential equations are used in rocket propulsion to model the motion of a rocket through space. They are applied to the forces acting on the rocket, such as thrust, gravity, and air resistance, to determine the rocket's trajectory and performance.

4. Can rocket propulsion be described using simple equations?

No, rocket propulsion cannot be described using simple equations. It requires complex differential equations to accurately model the behavior of a rocket in flight. These equations take into account various factors such as changing mass, varying thrust, and air resistance, making them quite complex.

5. What are some challenges in using differential equations for rocket propulsion?

One of the main challenges in using differential equations for rocket propulsion is the need for accurate and precise data. Small errors in the initial conditions or parameters can lead to significant differences in the predicted trajectory. Additionally, the complex nature of the equations makes it challenging to solve them analytically, and numerical methods must be used instead.