Rocket Problem: Solving for Velocity, Time, and Altitude

In summary: You can use v_c + a_c*t_c = 0, where a_c is the constant acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). In summary, the rocket starts from rest with an acceleration of 3.2 m/s^2 until it runs out of fuel at an altitude of 950 meters. After this point, it experiences an acceleration of gravity, downward. To find the velocity when it runs out of fuel, use the equation 2a x Delta Y = Vf^2 - Vi^2. To find the time it takes to reach this point, use a = Delta V / t and solve for t. To find the maximum altitude the rocket reaches, use the equation Delta Y = V
Libohove90
Rocket Problem, please help :)

Homework Statement

A rocket rises vertically, from rest, with an acceleration of 3.2 m/s^2 until it runs out of fuel at an altitude of 950 meters. After this point, it's acceleration is that of gravity, downward. a) What is the velocity of the rocket when it runs out of fuel? b) How long does it take to reach this point? c) What maximum altitude does the rocket reach? d) How much time (total) does it take to reach the maximum altitude?

Homework Equations

2a x Delta Y = Vf^2 - Vi^2
a = Delta V / t
Quadratic Formula

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I need to find the velocity of the rocket when it runs out of fuel.
I used 2a x Delta Y = Vf^2 - Vi^2
Plug in: 2 (3.2 m/s^2) (950 meters) = V^2 - 0
Answer: V^2 = 6080 m^2/s^2, thus V = 78 m/s

Second, I need to find how long it takes to reach this point.
I used a = Delta V / t and solve for t which makes: t = Delta V / a
Plug in: t = (78 m/s) / (3.2 m/s^2)
Answer: 24 seconds

Third, I need to find the maximum altitude the rocket reaches. Its already at 950 m once the fuel runs out.
I used 2a x Delta Y = Vf^2 - Vi^2, where Vi = 78 m/s, Vf^2 = 0 and a = g = -9.80 m/s^2
I solve for Delta Y, thus equation is Delta Y = Vf^2 - Vi^2 / 2a
Plug in: Delta Y = (0) - (78 m/s)^2 / 2 (-9.80), which = 6084 / 19.6 = 310 m
Answer: 310 m + 950 m = 1260 m or 1.26 km

Now here's where I get confused. I need to find the total time it takes to reach that maximum altitude of 1260 m. I already calculated that it took 24 seconds to reach 950 m, before decelerating and reaching zero velocity at 1260 m.
I used Delta Y = Vot + 0.5(-g)t^2
Plug in: 310 m = (78 m/s) t + (-4.90) t^2
I get: 4.9t^2 - 78t + 310 = 0
I use quadratic formula and I get 2 values for time, 7.7 and 8.2 seconds. Wtf?

Appreciate the help thank you

Physics news on Phys.org

Libohove90 said:
Now here's where I get confused. I need to find the total time it takes to reach that maximum altitude of 1260 m. I already calculated that it took 24 seconds to reach 950 m, before decelerating and reaching zero velocity at 1260 m.
I used Delta Y = Vot + 0.5(-g)t^2
Plug in: 310 m = (78 m/s) t + (-4.90) t^2
I get: 4.9t^2 - 78t + 310 = 0
I use quadratic formula and I get 2 values for time, 7.7 and 8.2 seconds. Wtf?

Appreciate the help thank you
You are getting two values because of rounding errors and use of an equation that is sensitive to those errors. Suppose an object is thrown upward with a velocity of 78 m/s. With g=9.8 m/s2, this object would reach a maximum altitude of 310.4 meters, not 310 meters. This means it will pass through 310 meters twice, about 0.3 seconds before and 0.3 seconds after reaching the peak of 310.4 meters.

Let's see what the radical is, without reducing things to numbers. Denote
  • a as the upward acceleration while the rocket is firing (3.2 m/s2)
  • g as the downward acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2)
  • h1 as the given 950 meters 'til rocket cutoff
  • vc as the upward velocity at rocket cutoff (your 78 m/s)
  • h2 as the additional height traveled after the rocket cutoff (your 310 meters)

You derived that [itex]v_c^2 = 2 h_1 a[/tex] and [itex]h_2 = h_1\,a/g[/itex]. The radical in your quadratic equation is [itex]v_c^2 - 4 h_2 (g/2) = 2 h_1 a - 4 (h_1 a/g)(g/2)[/tex], and this is obviously zero. You obtained a non-zero (positive) value because you rounded some intermediate values. You are lucky in a sense; your radical could easily have been negative due to rounding errors.

Perhaps you need a different equation. You are trying to find when the velocity is zero. An equation that directly addresses velocity might be useful here.

Related to Rocket Problem: Solving for Velocity, Time, and Altitude

1. What is the "Rocket Problem"?

The "Rocket Problem" is a classic physics problem that involves calculating the trajectory of a rocket launched from the surface of the Earth, taking into account various factors such as gravity, air resistance, and the rocket's initial velocity and angle of launch.

2. Why is the "Rocket Problem" important?

The "Rocket Problem" is important because it helps us understand the principles of projectile motion and the laws of motion, which are fundamental concepts in physics. It also has practical applications in fields such as aerospace engineering and space exploration.

3. What equations are used to solve the "Rocket Problem"?

The "Rocket Problem" can be solved using the equations of motion, specifically the kinematic equations for projectile motion. These equations take into account the initial velocity, acceleration, and time of flight of the rocket to determine its trajectory.

4. How do you account for air resistance in the "Rocket Problem"?

Air resistance, or drag, is accounted for in the "Rocket Problem" by using the drag equation, which takes into account the density of the air, the cross-sectional area of the rocket, and its velocity. This equation is used to calculate the force of air resistance and its effect on the rocket's trajectory.

5. Can the "Rocket Problem" be solved analytically or does it require numerical methods?

The "Rocket Problem" can be solved analytically using the equations of motion and the drag equation. However, for more complex scenarios, numerical methods such as computer simulations may be necessary to accurately predict the rocket's trajectory.