Rocket Launch: Solving for Height and Time

In summary: Acceleration is 9.8 m/s^2 downwards (gravity).In summary, a rocket is launched vertically with an initial acceleration of 10 m/s^2 for 20 seconds before the motors are turned off. Using the equations h=vo(t) + (g(t)^2)/2 and t=(vf-vo)/g, the rocket reaches a height of 1960 m with an initial velocity of 196 m/s. After the motors are turned off, the rocket coasts with a downward acceleration of 9.8 m/s^2 until it reaches a final velocity of 0 m/s. The total height reached can be calculated by solving for the coasting time using the equation t=(vf-vo)/
Dinovek

Homework Statement

A rocket is launched off and accelerates vertically up at 10 m/s 2. At 20 seconds, the motors are turned off, but the rocket keeps going up.

a) What height did it reach?
b) What was the time it needed to reach that height?

g: - 9.8 m/s2
a: 10 m/s2
final velocity: 0 m/s (Not sure).
t=20 s

Homework Equations

h= vo (t) + g(t)2/2
t=(vf-vo)/g
vo= vf-g(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I needed to find initial velocity to find height so I did.

vo=vf-g(t)
vo= 0 m/s - (-9.8m/s2)(20)
vo= 196 m/s

Now I just substituted to find height.

h= vo(t) + (g (t)2)/2
h= 196 m/s (20s) + (-9.8 m/s2 (20) 2)/2
h=3920 m + -3920 m/
h= 3920 m - 1960 m
h= 1960 m

I really have no clue how do to even start the problem because I'm not sure what is the time total. I was thinking that after it stops accelerating, every second it decreases 1 m/s on it's acceleration so that would 10 more seconds to the total timing.

Any help would be appreciated it. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Why did you use g for acceleration during the first 20 seconds? The rocket is accelerating at +10m/s2 during the first 10 seconds.

You would use g for acceleration after the 20 seconds, since that's when the motors are off.

VACA said:
Why did you use g for acceleration during the first 20 seconds? The rocket is accelerating at +10m/s2 during the first 10 seconds.

You would use g for acceleration after the 20 seconds, since that's when the motors are off.
You're right, I didn't read carefully, thanks! I'm not sure how I'm going to calculate the total height. How do I know when it's going to reach final velocity of zero?

Dinovek said:
You're right, I didn't read carefully, thanks! I'm not sure how I'm going to calculate the total height. How do I know when it's going to reach final velocity of zero?

You first have to find the height it reaches in the first 20 seconds. Vf will not be zero after 20 seconds. After 20 seconds it is coasting (like a car when you take your foot off of the gas). It will take more time for it to reach 0 m/s (maximum height).

Try solving the coasting part on your own, and post back if you get stumped. Hint:
Vf when the motors are going will be Vo when the rocket is coasting.

Hello! I can help you with this problem.

First, let's review the given information. The rocket is launched vertically and accelerates at a rate of 10 m/s2. This means that every second, its velocity increases by 10 m/s. At 20 seconds, the motors are turned off, but the rocket continues to move upward.

To solve for the height reached, we can use the equation h = vo(t) + (g(t)^2)/2, where h is the height, vo is the initial velocity, t is the time, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (which is -9.8 m/s2 in this case).

We already know that vo is 196 m/s (calculated correctly in your attempt), so we just need to find t. We can use the equation t = (vf - vo)/g, where vf is the final velocity (which is 0 m/s since the rocket stops accelerating at 20 seconds).

t = (vf - vo)/g
t = (0 m/s - 196 m/s)/ -9.8 m/s2
t = 196 m/s / 9.8 m/s2
t = 20 seconds

So, the rocket reaches its maximum height at 20 seconds. Now we can substitute this value into our first equation to solve for h.

h = vo(t) + (g(t)^2)/2
h = (196 m/s)(20 s) + (-9.8 m/s2)(20 s)^2/2
h = 3920 m + (-9.8 m/s2)(400 s^2)/2
h = 3920 m + (-9.8 m/s2)(200 s^2)
h = 3920 m - 1960 m
h = 1960 m

Therefore, the rocket reaches a height of 1960 meters at 20 seconds after launch. I hope this helps you understand the problem better. Keep up the good work with your calculations!

Related to Rocket Launch: Solving for Height and Time

1. How is the height of a rocket calculated during launch?

The height of a rocket during launch is calculated using the equation h = v0t + 1/2at^2, where h is the height, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What factors affect the time it takes for a rocket to reach its maximum height?

The time it takes for a rocket to reach its maximum height is affected by the initial velocity, the angle of launch, and the acceleration due to gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and wind can also play a role.

3. How can the initial velocity of a rocket be determined?

The initial velocity of a rocket can be determined by measuring the speed of the rocket at the moment of launch. This can be done using instruments like radar guns or by analyzing video footage of the launch.

4. Is the height and time of a rocket launch affected by the location of the launch site?

Yes, the height and time of a rocket launch can be affected by the location of the launch site. Factors such as altitude, air density, and wind conditions can all have an impact on the trajectory of the rocket and therefore affect the height and time of the launch.

5. How is the acceleration due to gravity accounted for in the calculation of a rocket's height and time?

The acceleration due to gravity is accounted for in the equation used to calculate the height and time of a rocket launch. It is represented by the variable a and has a value of 9.8 m/s^2 (meters per second squared) for objects near the Earth's surface. This value is used to calculate the effect of gravity on the rocket's trajectory.