Rocket Hovering Equation: A Balance of Forces

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of a hovering rocket and an equation was derived to represent the balance of forces acting on the rocket. The equation takes into account the mass of the rocket, gravity, and the rate of mass being ejected from the rocket. Some concerns were raised about the assumptions made in the equation, but overall it seems to be a valid representation for a simplified model of a hovering rocket.
Biker
I was just scrambling and thought of rockets. So I came up with an equation for (hovering).
Note: This might be totally wrong.
Okay so we have a rocket with fuel with a mass of M. There is gravity acting on it so I need a force to balance things out.

F - Mg = 0
F = Mg
What I have learned is every force come in pairs
So F = -Fthrust.
and F thrust = mair * a
so -(m(air)*a) = (m-mair)*g
^^ Because the rocket loses mass over time.
Lets call the rate of mass ejected R
-(R * t * a) = (M-R*t)*g
a = dv/t
a = (-Ve - v)/t ( Ve( velocity of thrust) is down and v(velocity of the rocket) is upward, I assumed up is positive and down is negative)
As it is hovering then the v of the rocket is equal to 0.
so a = -Ve/t
Now substitute that in.
-(R * t *-Ve/t) = (M-R*t)*g
R * Ve = (M-R*t)*g

Hmm I hope this is right :/

Physics news on Phys.org
If you over simplify a hovering rocket, your equations seems correct to me however there are some issues I want to to comment on.
If you do your calculations for an infinetisimal time interval it will be more general because in your notation you assumed that acceleration of air is constant and R is constant (in reality probably not). If you use dv and dt instead of v and t it will be more difficult to solve but more general.
Anyway for a simple object ejecting mass to hover in the air, your way of thinking seems correct.

Likes Biker

Related to Rocket Hovering Equation: A Balance of Forces

1. What is the Rocket Hovering Equation?

The Rocket Hovering Equation is a mathematical formula that describes the balance of forces required for a rocket to hover in place. It takes into account the forces of gravity, thrust, and drag.

2. Why is the Rocket Hovering Equation important?

The Rocket Hovering Equation is important because it allows scientists and engineers to accurately calculate the amount of thrust needed for a rocket to hover, and therefore design more efficient and effective rockets. It also helps in understanding the physics of rocket flight.

3. How is the Rocket Hovering Equation calculated?

The Rocket Hovering Equation is calculated by equating the forces acting on a hovering rocket: the force of gravity pulling the rocket down, the thrust force pushing the rocket up, and the drag force opposing the rocket's motion. The equation is F = mg + T - D, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the rocket, g is the acceleration due to gravity, T is the thrust force, and D is the drag force.

4. What factors can affect the Rocket Hovering Equation?

The Rocket Hovering Equation can be affected by several factors, including the mass of the rocket, the strength of the gravitational field, the design and power of the rocket's engines, and the air density and wind conditions in the rocket's environment.

5. Can the Rocket Hovering Equation be applied to all types of rockets?

Yes, the Rocket Hovering Equation can be applied to all types of rockets, as long as they are able to hover in place. However, the equation may need to be modified to account for different variables, such as the number and arrangement of engines, for different types of rockets.