Rocket Experiment: Testing Thrust Using Angular Momentum Method

In summary, the speaker is planning to test the thrust of their rocket by placing it at one end of a rotating plank and using a counter balance at the other end. They will time the period of oscillation after firing the rocket from rest position. They are looking for help on using equations, particularly involving angular momentum and velocities, to determine the thrust. They also ask for alternative methods that do not require expensive equipment.
FoxCommander
Ok so What i am thinking of doing is testing the thrust of my rocket, I am thinking of doing it this way. I will have the rocket at one end of a rotating Planck and at the other end some counter balance. I will then fire the rocket of will its in the rest position, then when it is done accelerating i will then time the period of occilation.
Now i don't know if this will be enough information to generate an answer but I am hopin someone will help me, probably using agular momentum stuff, to determine the thrust.

If this is not can someone else show me a way i can do it without having to buy any equipment other than wood or something cheap

Physics news on Phys.org
FoxCommander said:
Ok so What i am thinking of doing is testing the thrust of my rocket, I am thinking of doing it this way. I will have the rocket at one end of a rotating Planck and at the other end some counter balance. I will then fire the rocket of will its in the rest position, then when it is done accelerating i will then time the period of occilation.
Now i don't know if this will be enough information to generate an answer but I am hopin someone will help me, probably using agular momentum stuff, to determine the thrust.

If this is not can someone else show me a way i can do it without having to buy any equipment other than wood or something cheap

What equations will you use to design your experiment?

Thats the part that I am stuck on, I would think that the final velocity of the object would be the same as if the rocket was to be shot off in a straight line but i know that there has to be something about angular momentum and velocities there. Do you have any idea on where to start once i have the time period, and time of thrust and all the other information given? such as length of radius and the masses?

Related to Rocket Experiment: Testing Thrust Using Angular Momentum Method

1. What is the purpose of the rocket experiment?

The purpose of the rocket experiment is to test the thrust generated by different rockets using the angular momentum method. This method involves measuring the change in angular momentum of the rocket and using that information to calculate the thrust produced.

2. How is the angular momentum method used to measure thrust?

The angular momentum method involves measuring the change in angular momentum of the rocket before and after it has been fired. This change in angular momentum is caused by the thrust generated by the rocket. By knowing the mass and velocity of the rocket, the thrust can be calculated using the equation T = ΔL/Δt, where T is the thrust, ΔL is the change in angular momentum, and Δt is the time interval.

3. What factors can affect the results of the experiment?

Several factors can affect the results of the experiment, including the weight and design of the rocket, the type of fuel used, the angle of launch, and external forces such as air resistance. These factors should be carefully controlled and accounted for in order to obtain accurate results.

4. How can the results of this experiment be used?

The results of this experiment can be used to compare the thrust generated by different rockets and to determine which design and fuel combination produces the most efficient thrust. This information can also be applied to real-life rocket launches and help improve the design and performance of future rockets.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken during the experiment?

Yes, there are several safety precautions that should be taken during the experiment. This includes wearing protective gear, such as goggles and gloves, when handling the rocket and its fuel. It is also important to have a designated launch area that is clear of any obstacles or people. Careful handling of the rocket and fuel is crucial to prevent any accidents or injuries.