Rocket Efficiency: Why Use Multistage Rockets?

In summary: Rewrite the equation in terms of payload and fuel mass, instead of using total mass. Vary the fuel mass an plot the result.In summary, the Multistage Rocket is advantageous because it can achieve a higher velocity than a Single Stage Rocket.
Januz Johansen

Homework Statement

Show why it is advantageous to use multistage rockets

Homework Equations

- 3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
Hello there
I have to show why using multi stage rockets are an advantage, i have done som calculations for a 2. stage rocket and a singel stage, with the same payload mass, and the same total fuel, i took 80% of the stage
was fuel, and in total 800, i think this is right, (plis correct me if I'm wrong, the math is shown in the pic) - so to my question, can i make a plot like a graph, to show the multistage rocket is superior, i have tryed to plot v as a funktion to t v(t), but i can't seem to get a t into the equation.
sorry if it sounds a bit silly, but hope someone can help, rocket physics is difficult :/ - thanks
upload_2016-11-26_22-10-55.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Januz Johansen said:
i have tryed to plot v as a funktion to t
Typically you do not care how long the rocket takes, so time is not that interesting. What you care about is how much fuel it needs to lift a given payload into a given orbit. Relate that to the velocity achieved.

haruspex said:
Typically you do not care how long the rocket takes, so time is not that interesting. What you care about is how much fuel it needs to lift a given payload into a given orbit. Relate that to the velocity achieved.

Okay, yes i see your point - can you give me a hint to what equations i can use for this. I am a bit unsure on how to calculate, how much fuel there are used at a specific velocity.
But Thanks :)

Januz Johansen said:
Okay, yes i see your point - can you give me a hint to what equations i can use for this. I am a bit unsure on how to calculate, how much fuel there are used at a specific velocity.
But Thanks :)
You did not define all your mass variables, but I assume some of them refer to fuel masses in the stages. You ended up with an equation for velocity achieved. So you could just plot velocity achieved in the two cases (1 v. 2 stages) against total fuel.
Before you do that, it would be handy to figure out the optimal distribution of fuel between two stages for a given total.

haruspex said:
You did not define all your mass variables, but I assume some of them refer to fuel masses in the stages. You ended up with an equation for velocity achieved. So you could just plot velocity achieved in the two cases (1 v. 2 stages) against total fuel.
Before you do that, it would be handy to figure out the optimal distribution of fuel between two stages for a given total.

Hello thank you for your help, i will try that. I have read that a 2. stage rocket with the same exhaust velocity, should be ½ and ½. Sorry for being a bit slow - if i take the single stage again, i take u*ln( total mass / total mass - fuel)
upload_2016-11-27_0-15-2.png

so how can i plot velocity achieved against total fuel?

again thank you for helping

Januz Johansen said:
Hello thank you for your help, i will try that. I have read that a 2. stage rocket with the same exhaust velocity, should be ½ and ½. Sorry for being a bit slow - if i take the single stage again, i take u*ln( total mass / total mass - fuel) View attachment 109449
so how can i plot velocity achieved against total fuel?

again thank you for helping
Rewrite the equation in terms of payload and fuel mass, instead of using total mass. Vary the fuel mass an plot the result.

Okay i understand now :) thanks

Related to Rocket Efficiency: Why Use Multistage Rockets?

1. How does the velocity of a multi-stage rocket change over time?

The velocity of a multi-stage rocket increases as it travels through different stages. Each stage adds more fuel and propels the rocket at a faster rate, increasing its velocity.

2. What is the purpose of using multiple stages in a rocket?

Multi-stage rockets are designed to increase the overall efficiency and effectiveness of the rocket. By separating the rocket into different stages, the excess weight from empty fuel tanks can be discarded, allowing the remaining stages to accelerate faster.

3. Does the shape of the graph of a multi-stage rocket change as it travels through different stages?

Yes, the shape of the graph changes as the rocket moves through each stage. The initial stage will have a steeper slope, representing a faster acceleration, while the later stages will have a more gradual slope as the rocket reaches higher velocities.

4. How does the mass of the rocket affect the shape of the velocity graph?

The mass of the rocket does not directly affect the shape of the velocity graph. However, a heavier rocket will require more fuel and stages to reach the same velocity as a lighter rocket, resulting in a longer graph with more stages.

5. Can a multi-stage rocket continue to accelerate indefinitely?

No, a multi-stage rocket will eventually reach a maximum velocity as it travels through space due to the limitations of its fuel. Once all the fuel is expended, the rocket will no longer be able to accelerate and will maintain a constant velocity.