Rocket Acceleration and Altitude Calculation

In summary, the problem involves a 1000kg weather rocket launched vertically with a constant acceleration for 16 seconds, after which the motor stops. The rocket's altitude at 20 seconds is 5100m and ignoring air resistance, the goal is to find the rocket's acceleration during the first 16 seconds and its speed as it passes through a cloud at 5100m. The correct equation involves multiplying velocity by time to get distance and the rocket's acceleration is a function of the net force acting on it, including its weight and thrust but not the acceleration of gravity.
Cfem
(I apologize in advance if this should have been merged with my other topic.

Homework Statement

A 1000kg weather rocket is launched straight up. The rocket motor provides a constant acceleration for 16s, then the motor stops. The rocket altitude 20s after launch is 5100m. You can ignore any effects of air resistance.

A) What was the rocket's acceleration during the first 16s?
B) What is the rocket's speed as it passes through a cloud 5100m above the ground?

Homework Equations

d = vi(t) + (1/2)(a)(t2)

The Attempt at a Solution

5100 = dtotal
dfirst = 0 + (1/2)(a)(162)
dsecond = v0 - (1/2)(9.8)(16)
v0 = 16a

So the combining the equations:

dtotal = dfirst + dsecond

5100 = 0 + (1/2)(a)(162) + v0 - (1/2)(9.8)(16)
5100 = 128a + 16a - 78.4
5178.4 = 144a
a = 35.96

Now, our homework is checked automatically, so I'm not sure if I'm rounding incorrectly or what, but any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your calc looks good. I would use a =36 m/s^2, but if you look up the often confusing rule for significant figures, and since the mass has only one, then a=40 m/s^2. I don't know what your software is looking for; take a gamble and use 40, and see if it takes. I hope you have a second chance, however, just in case.

That didn't work either, but it's good to hear that my calculations were correct, at least (I couldn't have forgotten that much ._.)

I'll e-mail the instructor, but a second confirmation would be nice.

Cfem said:
(I apologize in advance if this should have been merged with my other topic.

Homework Statement

A 1000kg weather rocket is launched straight up. The rocket motor provides a constant acceleration for 16s, then the motor stops. The rocket altitude 20s after launch is 5100m. You can ignore any effects of air resistance.

A) What was the rocket's acceleration during the first 16s?
B) What is the rocket's speed as it passes through a cloud 5100m above the ground?

Homework Equations

d = vi(t) + (1/2)(a)(t2)

The Attempt at a Solution

5100 = dtotal
dfirst = 0 + (1/2)(a)(162)
dsecond = v0 - (1/2)(9.8)(16)
v0 = 16a

So the combining the equations:

dtotal = dfirst + dsecond

5100 = 0 + (1/2)(a)(162) + v0 - (1/2)(9.8)(16)
5100 = 128a + 16a - 78.4
5178.4 = 144a
a = 35.96

Now, our homework is checked automatically, so I'm not sure if I'm rounding incorrectly or what, but any help would be appreciated.

You forgot to multiply velocity by time to get distance

I'd set the problem up like this:
[tex]5100 = \frac{1}{2}a_{rocket}16^2 + (16a)4 - \frac{1}{2}9.81 * 4^2[/tex]

edited out incorrect stuff

Last edited:
Ooops, sorry, you are right, Cfem and I forgot the 't' after the 'Vo'.

But your second equation is incorrect. The rocket's acceleration is a function of the net force acting on it, which includes it's weight, the rocket thrust, air drag, etc. The 9.8 m/s^2 acceleration of gravity should not be accounted for twice.

That's like the fourth time I've forgotten what one variable for no reason.

Thanks for the help.

Related to Rocket Acceleration and Altitude Calculation

1. What is free fall of a rocket?

Free fall of a rocket refers to the motion of a rocket as it falls towards the ground under the influence of gravity without any external forces acting on it.

2. How does the acceleration of a rocket in free fall compare to that of other objects?

The acceleration of a rocket in free fall is the same as that of any other object, which is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²) on Earth.

3. What factors affect the free fall of a rocket?

The main factors that affect the free fall of a rocket are its mass, the force of gravity, and any air resistance or drag it may experience.

4. Can a rocket experience free fall in space?

Yes, a rocket can experience free fall in space if it is not under the influence of any external forces, such as thrust or gravitational pull from other objects.

5. How does air resistance affect the free fall of a rocket?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can slow down the speed of a rocket in free fall by exerting a force in the opposite direction of its motion. This force increases as the rocket's velocity increases.