Rocket accelaation at the start of fuel burn

In summary, the rocket gains a little acceleration at the beginning of the burn due to backward thrust.
nag
Hi Guys this is the problem I am stuck at:

The solid fuel of a 420.0 kg rocket traveling at 18100.0 km/hr is ignited to correct the rocket trajectory in mid-flight to Mars. 5.00 kg of fuel is burnt in 13.0 s. If the exhaust velocity of the fuel, relative to the rocket, is 3650.00 km/hr, what is the acceleration of the rocket (in m/s2) at the start of this burn?

I tried momentum conservation and unable to end up with correct accl of Rocket.

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
nag said:
Hi Guys this is the problem I am stuck at:

The solid fuel of a 420.0 kg rocket traveling at 18100.0 km/hr is ignited to correct the rocket trajectory in mid-flight to Mars. 5.00 kg of fuel is burnt in 13.0 s. If the exhaust velocity of the fuel, relative to the rocket, is 3650.00 km/hr, what is the acceleration of the rocket (in m/s2) at the start of this burn?

I tried momentum conservation and unable to end up with correct accl of Rocket.
Use F = dp/dt = vdm/dt.

The rate of change of momentum of the rocket exhaust gives you the net force on the rocket. So you should be able to determine the acceleration at the beginning of the burn. Why is it (slightly) different at the beginning than at the end of the burn?

AM

Thanks for the help. It is obvious that backward thrust imposes forward force on rocket. In this case as the fuel start to burn I guess rocket gains a little acceleration. Please correct me If I am wrong or missing any.

Andrew Mason said:
Use F = dp/dt = vdm/dt.

The rate of change of momentum of the rocket exhaust gives you the net force on the rocket. So you should be able to determine the acceleration at the beginning of the burn. Why is it (slightly) different at the beginning than at the end of the burn?

AM
Thanks for the help. It is obvious that backward thrust imposes forward force on rocket. In this case as the fuel start to burn I guess rocket gains a little acceleration. Please correct me If I am wrong or missing any.

Andrew Mason said:
Use F = dp/dt = vdm/dt.

AM
Hi,

I followed your reply and net force on rocket = (1013.89 m/s)(5/13)kg/s = 389.96N

Since F=ma => a = 389.96 / 420(the initial mass)

Is this right way of doing. Thanks.

nag said:
Hi,

I followed your reply and net force on rocket = (1013.89 m/s)(5/13)kg/s = 389.96N

Since F=ma => a = 389.96 / 420(the initial mass)

Is this right way of doing. Thanks.
Looks right.

AM

Related to Rocket accelaation at the start of fuel burn

1. What is rocket acceleration at the start of fuel burn?

Rocket acceleration at the start of fuel burn refers to the rate at which a rocket's velocity increases during the initial stage of burning fuel. It is a crucial factor in determining the overall speed and trajectory of a rocket.

2. How is rocket acceleration at the start of fuel burn calculated?

Rocket acceleration at the start of fuel burn can be calculated using the rocket equation, which takes into account the mass of the rocket, the mass of the fuel, and the specific impulse of the rocket's engine. It can also be measured using accelerometers onboard the rocket.

3. Why is rocket acceleration at the start of fuel burn important?

The acceleration at the start of fuel burn is important because it determines the amount of thrust that the rocket will have during its initial ascent. A higher acceleration means a faster climb and a better chance of reaching the desired orbit or destination.

4. How does rocket design affect acceleration at the start of fuel burn?

The design of a rocket can greatly affect its acceleration at the start of fuel burn. Factors such as the shape and size of the rocket, the type of fuel used, and the design of the engine all play a role in determining the acceleration. A well-designed rocket will have a higher acceleration at the start of fuel burn, leading to a more efficient and successful launch.

5. Can the acceleration at the start of fuel burn be increased?

Yes, the acceleration at the start of fuel burn can be increased by improving the design of the rocket, using more efficient fuels, or adding more powerful engines. However, there are limits to how much acceleration can be increased, as it also depends on factors such as the weight of the rocket and the force of gravity.