Rock that gives off static charge when struck

In summary, the piezoelectric effect occurs in some crystals, such as barium titanate and quartz, when they are struck or squeezed, generating a voltage. Flint and other hard rocks like jasper are examples of rocks that can give off a static charge when hit. This effect can also produce sparks and cool lights in the dark. There are many types of piezoelectric materials, including barium titanate, quartz, and other crystals, which can be found in the category page and materials page on Wikipedia.
michael60622
Does anyone know the name of a type of rock that gives off a static charge when hit, like struck with a hammer?

Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing that comes to mind for me is the piezo-electric effect.
This occurs in some crystals (barium titanate... I think) when they are struck or squeezed a voltage is generated.

technician said:
The first thing that comes to mind for me is the piezo-electric effect.
This occurs in some crystals (barium titanate... I think) when they are struck or squeezed a voltage is generated.

yep, my thought as well. I'm not aware of anything else that could answer this question other than a piezoelectric crystal

michael60622 said:
Does anyone know the name of a type of rock that gives off a static charge when hit, like struck with a hammer?
Flint is the prototypical example. Other types of chert will do, as will many other very hard types of rock such as jasper.

D H said:
Flint is the prototypical example. Other types of chert will do, as will many other very hard types of rock such as jasper.

are you talking about a static charge or a spark? Are they the same thing in this case?

Last edited:

Related to Rock that gives off static charge when struck

1. What causes a rock to give off static charge when struck?

When a rock is struck against another object, it creates friction which can cause electrons to transfer from one object to another. This transfer of electrons is what creates a static charge.

2. Can all rocks give off static charge when struck?

No, not all rocks have the same composition and therefore may not have the same ability to create friction and transfer electrons. However, many types of rocks such as quartz, sandstone, and flint are known to produce static charge when struck.

3. Is static charge from a struck rock dangerous?

In most cases, the level of static charge produced by a struck rock is not strong enough to cause harm to humans or other living organisms. However, it is always important to exercise caution and avoid touching objects that may have a strong static charge.

4. How long does the static charge from a struck rock last?

The duration of the static charge from a struck rock can vary depending on factors such as the type of rock and the humidity in the environment. In general, the charge will dissipate over time as the electrons eventually balance out between the two objects.

5. Can a rock give off static charge without being struck?

Yes, it is possible for a rock to give off static charge without being struck. This can occur if the rock is rubbed against another surface or even when it is simply moved or touched by an object with a different electrical charge.