Roche limits with a hint of internal bonds.

In summary: This would allow for a more realistic calculation of the Roche limit, taking into account the effects of the ice shell on the comet's orbit.
Wol377
Hello everyone,
I have created a program that plots the orbit of a comet around our sun, as it orbits, a ratio between internal binding forces and tidal forces is calculated (this produces a Roche limit). I am using this equation to obtain the internal bonding force:
F = (G * M * Mu) / (r ^ 2) 'I have taken Mu = 1 kg.
Where r is the radius of the comet, M is the mass of the comet and the Mu is the mass of an object on the surface. I am wondering how I could include an extra component in this equation to make it more realistic. I want to take into account the extra binding forces caused by a shell of ice around the surface of the comet. I am not sure how to go about doing this. A shell of ice will result in a higher tidal force needed to break up the comet (Roche limit will be less). Any help on this will be very helpfull... lol.
Many thanks!

(Note: I will also apply this extra ice shell component to an inner liquid center, I hope to end up with four Roche limit models,
1. Rubble-pile model (What I have already done)
2. Rubble-pile with ice surface
3. liquid sphere model (got data on this also)
4. liquid sphere with ice shell model)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
One way to incorporate the extra binding forces caused by a shell of ice around the surface of the comet would be to add a term to the equation for the internal binding force. This term could represent the additional force from the ice shell, such as the surface tension of the ice. This additional term could be multiplied by a constant (e.g. 0.1) to represent the relative strength of the additional force. The equation for the internal binding force would then become: F = (G * M * Mu) / (r ^ 2) + C * (surface tension of the ice).

Related to Roche limits with a hint of internal bonds.

1. What is the Roche limit?

The Roche limit is the distance at which the gravitational forces between two celestial bodies, such as a planet and its moon, are stronger than the internal bonds holding the smaller body together. This results in the smaller body being torn apart by the larger body's gravity.

2. How is the Roche limit calculated?

The Roche limit is calculated using the equation: Rl = 2.44 * Rp * (ρp / ρs)1/3, where Rl is the Roche limit, Rp is the radius of the larger body, ρp is the density of the larger body, and ρs is the density of the smaller body.

3. What happens if a smaller body approaches within the Roche limit of a larger body?

If a smaller body approaches within the Roche limit of a larger body, the gravitational forces of the larger body will overcome the internal bonds of the smaller body. This can result in the smaller body breaking apart or forming into rings around the larger body.

4. Can the Roche limit change?

Yes, the Roche limit can change over time due to factors such as changes in the density or composition of the celestial bodies, or the presence of external forces such as tidal forces.

5. How does the Roche limit affect planetary systems?

The Roche limit plays a crucial role in the formation and stability of planetary systems. It determines the minimum distance at which a moon can orbit a planet without being torn apart, and can also lead to the formation of planetary rings. The Roche limit also affects the habitability of planets, as a planet too close to its star may experience tidal heating and a planet too far may not receive enough heat and light.