Rms speed for particles emerging from an oven

In summary: So yes, you just need to use the same formula and plug in the new temperature. In summary, the rms speed for a particle in a gas can be calculated using the formulae u_{rms}=\sqrt{\int(u^{2}n(u)du)/N}. To estimate the rms speed of Ne atoms in a gas at 300k, you can use the expression for n(u)=(\frac{2^{1/2}N}{\pi^{1/2}})(\frac{m}{k_{B}T})^{3/2}u^{2}exp(-\frac{mu^{2}}{2k_{B}T}) and the mass of an Ne atom is 3.32
ppy
The rms speed for a particle in a gas can be calculated using the formulae:

u[itex]_{rms}[/itex]=[itex]\sqrt{\int(u^{2}n(u)du)/N}[/itex]

a) Use the formulae and the expression for n(u):

n(u)=([itex]\frac{2^{1/2}N}{\pi^{1/2}}[/itex])([itex]\frac{m}{k_{B}T}[/itex])[itex]^{3/2}[/itex]u[itex]^{2}[/itex]exp(-[itex]\frac{mu^{2}}{2k_{B}T})[/itex]

To estimate the rms speed of Ne atoms in a gas at 300k given that the mass of an Ne atom is 3.32x10[itex]^{-26}[/itex]kg.

b)What is the rms speed of particles emerging from an oven with walls at 500k?

I have done a) and got the answer ([itex]\frac{3k_{B}T}{m}[/itex])[itex]^{1/2}[/itex] and then I got a numerical value.

I am stuck on b) Is the equation to find the rms speed for a particle emerging from an oven different to the rms equation above. I know in my notes the total flux that emerges from the oven is proportional to [itex]\int(un(u)du)[/itex]

Any help would be great thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi.
The oven's walls are supposed to be at thermal equilibrium with their content if not otherwise specified; the particles emerging are assumed to be in a gaseous form if not otherwise specified. Thus your formula in (a) should be enough to help you...

Goddar said:
Hi.
The oven's walls are supposed to be at thermal equilibrium with their content if not otherwise specified; the particles emerging are assumed to be in a gaseous form if not otherwise specified. Thus your formula in (a) should be enough to help you...

So you are saying to use the result from (a) but we do not know the mass of the particles?

Well obviously the answer is going to depend on the mass of the particles, so if it's not specified just give the answer in terms of m...

Goddar said:
Well obviously the answer is going to depend on the mass of the particles, so if it's not specified just give the answer in terms of m...

are you saying I just use 3NkT/m and sub in 500k? There is no extra calculation that what was done in part (a)?

Your formula in (a) doesn't involve N: m is the only variable left once you have the temperature.

Related to Rms speed for particles emerging from an oven

What is meant by "Rms speed for particles emerging from an oven"?

"Rms speed" refers to the root-mean-square speed, which is a measure of the average speed of a group of particles. In this context, it refers to the average speed of particles that are coming out of an oven or heating source.

How is the Rms speed for particles calculated?

The Rms speed for particles can be calculated using the formula v(rms) = √(3RT/M), where v(rms) is the root-mean-square speed, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and M is the molar mass of the particles.

Why is the Rms speed for particles important?

The Rms speed for particles is important because it provides information about the average kinetic energy of the particles. This can be useful in understanding how the particles will behave and interact with their surroundings.

What factors can affect the Rms speed for particles emerging from an oven?

The Rms speed for particles can be affected by the temperature of the oven, the molar mass of the particles, and the presence of any external forces or interactions with other particles.

How does the Rms speed for particles emerging from an oven relate to the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution describes the distribution of speeds of particles in a gas at a certain temperature. The Rms speed for particles is the most probable speed in this distribution, and it can be used to calculate other important parameters such as the average speed and the most probable speed of the particles.