RLC Series Circuit: State Equations

In summary, the state equations for the RLC series circuit can be written using the capacitor voltage \(v_c(t)\) and the inductor current \(i_L(t)\) as states. The equations are \(v_c(t) + R\ i_L(t) + i_L^{\ '} (t) = e(t)\) and \(v_c^{\ '} (t) = C\ i_L (t)\). The state transition matrix is \(\Phi(s) = \frac{1}{(s+1)(s+2)} \begin{pmatrix}s & -1\\2 & s+3\end{pmatrix}\) and the input matrix is \(\mathbf{B
Dustinsfl
Using the capacitor voltage \(v_c(t)\) and the inductor current \(i_L(t)\) as states, write the state equations for the RLC series circuit shown in the figure.

mc8hQL5.png

We can write that \(e(t) = iR + \frac{di}{dt} + \frac{1}{C}\int i(t)dt\). I am not sure with what it wants when it says to write it as states.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Shouldn't it be $e(t) = iR + L \frac{di}{dt} + \frac{1}{C}\int i(t)dt?$ I think when they say "state", they mean that the DE should be in that unknown variable. So if $i_{L}$ is the state variable, write the DE with $i_{L}$ as the unknown function.

dwsmith said:
Using the capacitor voltage \(v_c(t)\) and the inductor current \(i_L(t)\) as states, write the state equations for the RLC series circuit shown in the figure.

mc8hQL5.png

We can write that \(e(t) = iR + \frac{di}{dt} + \frac{1}{C}\int i(t)dt\). I am not sure with what it wants when it says to write it as states.

In electric egeneering are called states of a network somewhat is related to the 'energy' contained in the reactive elements, i.e. the voltage across a capacitors and the current in inductors. In Your case the network has two states, i.e.the two unknown variables are $v_{c} (t)$ and $i_{L} (t)$. The equation governing the network are...

$\displaystyle v_{c} (t) + R\ i_{L}(t) + i_{L}^{\ '} (t) = e(t)$

$\displaystyle v_{c}^{\ '} (t) = C\ i_{L} (t)\ (1)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
I have determined my state transition matrix as
\[
\Phi(s) =
\frac{1}{(s + 1)(s + 2)}
\begin{pmatrix}
s & -1\\
2 & s + 3
\end{pmatrix}\Rightarrow
\varphi(t) = e^{-t}
\begin{pmatrix}
2e^{-t} - 1 & e^{-t} - 1\\
2(1 - e^{-t}) & 2 - e^{-t}
\end{pmatrix}.
\]
Then
\[
\begin{pmatrix}
i_L(s)\\
v_c(s)
\end{pmatrix} = \Phi(s)\mathbf{B}\mathbf{U}(s)
\]
What is \(\mathbf{B}\) and \(\mathbf{U}(s)\).
Additionally, I have that
\[
\begin{pmatrix}
\frac{di_L(t)}{dt}\\
\frac{dv_c(t)}{dt}
\end{pmatrix} =
\begin{pmatrix}
\frac{-R}{L} & \frac{-1}{L}\\
\frac{1}{C} & 0
\end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix}
i_L(t)\\
v_c(t)
\end{pmatrix}
+
\begin{pmatrix}
\frac{1}{L}\\
\end{pmatrix}e(t) \qquad (*)
\]
where \(R = 3\), \(L = 1\), and \(C = \frac{1}{2}\).

The solution has
\[
\Phi(s)\mathbf{B}\mathbf{U}(s) =
\begin{pmatrix}
\frac{s}{(s+1)(s+3)}\\
\frac{2}{(s+1)(s+3)}
\end{pmatrix}
\frac{2}{s}
\begin{pmatrix}
e^{-s} & -e^{-2s}
\end{pmatrix}
\]
Therefore, \(\mathbf{U}(s) = \frac{2}{s}
\begin{pmatrix}
e^{-s} & -e^{-2s}
\end{pmatrix}\) where does this come from?

If we take the Laplace Transform of \((*)\), we end up with the factor \(\frac{2}{s}\). That is, we have
\begin{gather}
I(s) = \frac{E(s) - V(s)}{s + 3}\\
V(s) = \frac{2}{s}I(s)
\end{gather}
but that still leaves the question where does \(U(s)\) come from?

Last edited:

The state equations for an RLC series circuit can be written as follows:

State variables:
\(x_1 = v_c(t)\)
\(x_2 = i_L(t)\)

The derivative of the state variables with respect to time can be written as:
\(\dot{x_1} = \frac{dv_c(t)}{dt} = \frac{i_L(t)}{C}\)
\(\dot{x_2} = \frac{di_L(t)}{dt} = \frac{1}{L}(e(t) - i_R(t))\)

Where \(e(t)\) is the input voltage, \(i_R(t)\) is the resistor current, and \(L\) and \(C\) are the inductance and capacitance values of the circuit, respectively.

Therefore, the state equations can be written as:
\(\dot{x_1} = \frac{x_2}{C}\)
\(\dot{x_2} = \frac{1}{L}(e(t) - Ri_L(t) - x_2)\)

These state equations can be used to model and analyze the behavior of the RLC circuit over time, taking into account the effects of the inductor and capacitor.

Related to RLC Series Circuit: State Equations

1. What is an RLC series circuit?

An RLC series circuit is a type of electronic circuit that consists of a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C) connected in series. This means that the components are connected one after the other, with the same current flowing through each component.

2. What are state equations in an RLC series circuit?

State equations are mathematical equations that describe the behavior of a circuit over time. In an RLC series circuit, the state equations relate the voltage across the capacitor and the current through the inductor to the input voltage and the values of the components in the circuit.

3. How do you derive the state equations for an RLC series circuit?

The state equations for an RLC series circuit can be derived using Kirchhoff's laws and the equations that describe the behavior of resistors, capacitors, and inductors. By applying these laws and equations to the circuit, you can obtain a set of differential equations that represent the state equations for the circuit.

4. What is the purpose of state equations in an RLC series circuit?

The state equations in an RLC series circuit are used to analyze and predict the behavior of the circuit over time. By solving the state equations, you can determine the voltage and current at any point in the circuit, which is useful for designing and troubleshooting electronic systems.

5. How are the state equations solved in an RLC series circuit?

The state equations in an RLC series circuit can be solved using various methods, such as Laplace transforms, numerical methods, or circuit simulators. The method used will depend on the complexity of the circuit and the desired level of accuracy. Once the state equations are solved, the resulting values can be used to understand the behavior of the circuit and make any necessary adjustments.