RLC DC Transient over-damped response

In summary, the no-input case is the homogeneous solution or the "natural" solution. In cases when you have resonance, it's the "natural resonance" of the system. It's the response that dominated from a step or impulse input - the d/dt basically exists only instantaneously and there is no further "driven input" so you see the natural response by itself. Another analogy: tapping a bell - the hammer tap is an impulsive driven input and the remaining ringing is the natural response. Applying a signal/input is the "driven" solution. You can drive a circuit at any frequency, for example, including off-resonance. There will be a response but
Jag1972
Hello All,
I have a bit of a problem with a series RLC circuit with no supply voltage. In the process of actually solving the second order differential equation for the voltage across the capacitor I have lost a handle on what it actually represents in terms of the circuit.

I have attached the question as a word document.

If someone could help me relate my solution to the circuit I would be very great full.

Jag.

Attachments

• RLC Transient.doc
    69.5 KB · Views: 286
Engineering news on Phys.org
Jag1972 said:
Hello All,
I have a bit of a problem with a series RLC circuit with no supply voltage. In the process of actually solving the second order differential equation for the voltage across the capacitor I have lost a handle on what it actually represents in terms of the circuit.

I have attached the question as a word document.

If someone could help me relate my solution to the circuit I would be very great full.

Jag.

The no-input case is the homogeneous solution or the "natural" solution. In cases when you have resonance, it's the "natural resonance" of the system. It's the response that dominated from a step or impulse input - the d/dt basically exists only instantaneously and there is no further "driven input" so you see the natural response by itself. Another analogy: tapping a bell - the hammer tap is an impulsive driven input and the remaining ringing is the natural response.

Applying a signal/input is the "driven" solution. You can drive a circuit at any frequency, for example, including off-resonance. There will be a response but it might not be particular interesting or spectacular. When you use an impedance analyzer, you are driving the DUT at various frequencies and observing the response. When you get the natural resonance, you'll get a particularly strong response.

So when you plot response vs. frequency you get sometime like on Figure 1-18 (page 1-13) ofhttp://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5950-3000.pdf" . This is a resonance as seen in impedance/capacitance domain vs. frequency. A capacitor, because of parasitic inductance, will seem to suddenly stop being a capacitor due to resonance at a particular frequency - this resonance is the natural frequency of the RLC parasitic circuit.

This is the frequency domain representation of the natural response. Notice this curve contains "all frequencies". Then remember that the frequency response of an impulse function is a horizontal line in frequency space - "all frequencies". This is the relationship between frequency response, impulse response, convolution, Fourier transforms, natural frequency responses and homogeneous differential (time domain) equation homogeneous solutions. All connected intimately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the response much appreciated.

Related to RLC DC Transient over-damped response

What is an RLC DC Transient over-damped response?

An RLC DC Transient over-damped response is a phenomenon that occurs in an electrical circuit containing a resistor (R), inductor (L), and capacitor (C) when a DC voltage is suddenly applied. The response is characterized by a gradual and smooth decay of the current and voltage over time.

How does an RLC DC Transient over-damped response differ from other responses?

The over-damped response is different from the under-damped and critically-damped responses in that it takes longer to reach its steady-state value and does not oscillate. This is due to a higher value of resistance in the circuit, which causes the energy to dissipate more slowly.

What factors affect the RLC DC Transient over-damped response?

The three main factors that affect the over-damped response are the values of the resistor, inductor, and capacitor in the circuit. A higher value of resistance will result in a slower decay of the current and voltage, while a larger inductance or capacitance will cause a longer time constant.

What is the time constant in an RLC DC Transient over-damped response?

The time constant in an over-damped response is the time it takes for the current and voltage to reach 63.2% of their steady-state values. It is calculated by multiplying the resistance by the inductance or capacitance, depending on the type of circuit.

What are the practical applications of studying RLC DC Transient over-damped response?

Understanding the over-damped response is crucial in designing and analyzing electrical circuits. This knowledge can be applied in various fields such as electronics, telecommunications, and power systems. It also helps in troubleshooting and predicting the behavior of circuits in real-world situations.