RLC Circuit - Voltage Across Resistor

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the voltage across the resistor. The attempt at a solution is to move the resistor to the top rail if possible.
DrummingAtom

Homework Statement

Find the voltage across the resistor.

Homework Equations

V = L*di/dt
I = C*dv/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not too worried about the differential equation part but I need some help setting up the circuit for me to start the process.

Since the current through the capacitor/inductor block will equal the resistor's current can I put the resistor *before* the capacitor/inductor block which I can then setup a source transformation with the voltage source and resistor?

I'm feeling that I can't do this because the capacitor/inductor will cause some oscillations to go through the resistor but wanted to check.

Thanks.

Attachments

• RLC Circuit.jpg
    RLC Circuit.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 369
Physics news on Phys.org
Is that a DC source or an AC source?

DC and I know what the answer to my question is now, I can't move that resistor. I'm really having trouble setting this one up.. I know VC = VL and the current iS= iC + iL = iR. I keep getting things in terms of VC for the differential equation.

You CAN move the resistor to the top rail if you wish, just take note of the direction of current flow to determine the direction of potential drop across it.

Perhaps you can show one of your attempts to set up the differential equation?
You don't happen to be familiar with Laplace Transforms I suppose...?

Unfortunately, we haven't learned Laplace yet. Here was one attempt:

Starting with VS = VC + VR and i = iC + iL = iR

Which after a little work leads to:

VS = VC + RC*d2VC/dt2 + R/L*VC.

Now I know this is in terms of VC so I plugged it back into VS = VC + VR which then gave:

VR = LC*d2VC/dt2 + L/R*dVC/dt - VS

Does that seem right? Thanks for helping me by the way, I really appreciated it.

DrummingAtom said:
Unfortunately, we haven't learned Laplace yet. Here was one attempt:

VS = VC + RC*d2VC/dt2 + R/L*VC.

Now I know this is in terms of VC so I plugged it back into VS = VC + VR which then gave:

VR = LC*d2VC/dt2 + L/R*dVC/dt - VS

Does that seem right? Thanks for helping me by the way, I really appreciated it.

It looks like you have a correct equation for VR.

My own choice might have been to just solve for Vc(t) and then afterwards subtract Vs which is a constant. Then the differential equation to be solved will be in the more compact form:
$$ \frac{d^2 V_C}{dt^2} + \frac{1}{R C}\frac{dV_C}{dt} + \frac{1}{L C} V_C = 0$$

I finally solved it correctly late last night. Here's what I did:

VS = 1/C[itex]\int[/itex]iC + i*R

VS = 1/C[itex]\int[/itex]iC + (iC+ iL)R

[itex] V_S = \frac{RCd^2V_C}{dt^2} + \frac{dV_C}{dt}+ \frac{RV_C}{L}[/itex]

Then I used the characteristic equation which showed that it's an underdamped solution. After that I subtracted the solution from VS to get the voltage over the resistor.

Again, thanks for your help.

Related to RLC Circuit - Voltage Across Resistor

1. What is an RLC circuit?

An RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C). These three components are connected together in a series or parallel configuration, and together they create a circuit that can store and release energy in the form of electrical current.

2. What is the significance of the "2nd order" in an RLC circuit?

The "2nd order" in an RLC circuit refers to the order of the differential equation used to describe the circuit's behavior. In a second-order RLC circuit, the equation includes a second derivative, which accounts for the circuit's ability to store and release energy.

3. How does an RLC circuit behave in response to a changing voltage input?

An RLC circuit will exhibit different behaviors depending on the frequency of the voltage input. At low frequencies, the capacitor will act as an open circuit and the inductor as a short circuit, resulting in a high current flowing through the circuit. At high frequencies, the opposite will occur, with the capacitor acting as a short circuit and the inductor as an open circuit, resulting in a low current. At the resonant frequency, the circuit will reach its maximum current and the voltage across the capacitor and inductor will cancel out, resulting in a purely resistive behavior.

4. How does the damping factor affect the behavior of an RLC circuit?

The damping factor, also known as the damping ratio, determines the rate at which the energy in an RLC circuit is dissipated. A lower damping factor means that the circuit will oscillate for longer periods of time, while a higher damping factor means that the circuit will reach its steady-state behavior more quickly. In an RLC circuit, the damping factor is affected by the resistance, with higher resistance leading to a higher damping factor and vice versa.

5. What are some real-life applications of RLC circuits?

RLC circuits have many practical applications in various electronic devices, such as radios, televisions, and computers. They are also used in power systems to regulate voltage and current levels, and in electronic filters to remove unwanted frequencies. Additionally, RLC circuits are used in medical equipment, such as MRI machines, to create oscillating magnetic fields.